With three victories on Wedneday's card at Laurel Park, jockey Mario Pino moved ahead of Jacinto Vazquez into 16th spot on the all-time list with 5,229 wins. Pino guided Killer Angel (4th race, $9.40), Your Bluffing (7th, $7.40) and Strike Zone (8th, $4.40) to first-place finishes."This is a big accomplishment," said the soft-spoken Pino. "I still enjoy coming to work each day and have a lot of years left. I love winning races."Jerry Bailey is nearly 300 wins ahead in 15th place. Fourteen jockeys have ridden more than 6,000 winners.King Leatherbury's quest to become the third trainer in history to condition 6,000 winners will press on this week. Neither Scottish Warrior (4th race) nor Pud (5th) were able to reach the wire first at Laurel Park Wednesday. The 70-year old is one victory shy of joining Dale Baird (8,819 wins) and Jack Van Berg (6,334) in the 6,000 win club. Leatherbury, who is winless in 24 starts during the summer meet that ends on Friday, will saddle Irish Baroness in Thursday's sixth race. He sends out Apache Thunder in the second race on closing day Friday. Live racing shifts to the Timonium for the eight-day fair meet. Leatherbury has two horses entered on Saturday's opening day.
Most Popular Stories
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Tattersalls Ends Year With Soaring Figures