The projection, traditionally announced at the time of The Jockey Club Round Table Conference, is computed by using Reports of Mares Bred (RMB's) so far received for the 2003 breeding season. RMB's are to be filed by August 1 of each breeding season.
The 2004 estimate represents a slight increase against the 37,000 foals forecast for 2003. The estimated 2002 registered Thoroughbred foal crop of 35,600 reflects the impact of MRLS, which reduced the Kentucky foal crop by approximately 20 percent. The 2001 registered Thoroughbred foal crop is projected at 36,800.
Foal registration is to be completed within 12 months of the birth of the foal. However, late registration is available for additional fees, making actual foal crop counts problematic before Dec. 31 of the crop's two-year-old year, the time by which the vast majority of the foal crop has been registered. Additional foal crop information is available in The Jockey Club's Online Fact Book, accessible through www.jockeyclub.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes