Strong Field of Sprinters Vie in Pat O'Brien
Updated: Sunday, August 17, 2003 4:09 PM
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 8:24 PM
Headed by defending champion Disturbingthepeace, up-and-coming sprint star Bluesthestandard and millionaire Grey Memo, a strong field of 11 speedsters is set to go to the post Sunday in the $150,000 Pat O'Brien Handicap (gr. II) at Del Mar.
The seven-furlong dash will cap off a two-stakes day for Del Mar fans. The O'Brien is slated as the eighth race on the card.
In addition to the top three runners in the field, old campaigner Full Moon Madness, with 15 victories in 35 career races and earnings of $983,185, will try his luck at a distance he hasn't tackled in the past four years. During that time, he's gone no farther than six furlongs. He is on a four-race win streak going back to April 2002. If Full Moon Madness, assigned top weight of 119 pounds, finishes first, second or third his earnings will surpass the million-dollar mark.$150,000 Pat O'Brien Handicap (gr. II), 3 & up, 7 furlongs
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Disturbingthepeace, 116, Victor Espinoza
2. Sea to See, 113, Felipe Martinez
3. Rushin' to Altar, 114, Corey Nakatani
4. Kela, 114, Patrick Valenzuela
5. Tough Game, 113, Kent Desormeaux
6. Grey Memo, 116, Gary Stevens
7. Danthebluegrassman, 116, David Flores
8. Bluesthestandard, 117, Alex Solis
9. Debonair Joe, 115, Julie Krone
10. Full Moon Madness, 119, Jose Valdivia Jr.
11. Ditch Digger, 110, Mike Smith
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!