He was a charter member of the National Turf Writers Association who watched 48 Kentucky Derbys from the Churchill Downs Press Box. He was also a regular at Breeders' Cup and frequented every major racetrack in North America and several tracks in England, Ireland, Scotland and France.
Thornton is a former reporter and sports editor for The Naperville Sun, a prominent weekly newspaper in a Chicago suburb, and a frequent contributor to racing and general interest publications.
As per his wishes, Thornton was to be cremated. No service is scheduled at this time.
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks