Starting Aug. 13 at Saratoga, any turf race scheduled to be run at one mile for older horses switched to the main track will be run at seven furlongs. "I am hoping that this will hold more horses in the race," said New York Racing Association racing secretary Mike Lakow said. "A lot of these horses running at a mile are stretching-out sprinters. Most of them would rather run one turn instead of stretching out to a mile and an eighth going two turns."
All other races for older horses beyond a mile will be run at two turns.Races originally scheduled at 1 1/16, 1 1/8, 1 3/16 or 1 3/8 miles on the grass will still be run at 1 1/8 miles on the main track. Races originally carded on grass at 1 1/2 and 1 5/8 miles will be run at 1 3/16 miles on the main track.Grass races for two-year-olds, usually listed at 1 1/16 miles, will remain at seven furlongs if the race is switched to the main track.Through Thursday, rainy weather has taken 16 of 35 scheduled races off the turf at Saratoga.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- KY House Speaker: Gambling Amendment Dead
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Kentucky Horsemen Prepped on New Drug Rules
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Fair Grounds Hall of Fame Inducts Proud Spell
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- NTRA Safety Alliance Re-Accredits Aqueduct
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe