Donamire Farm's 7-year-old Twilight Road with regular rider Phil Teator aboard will be the horse to beat in a field of 11 for the $100,000 Spend a Buck Handicap (gr. III) at Calder Race Course Saturday.
The Spend a Buck is for 3 and up at 1 1/16 miles.
Twilight Road returns to the main track after two solid performances on turf, winning the Miami Mile Breeders' Cup (gr. IIIT) and finishing second in the Flying Pidgeon Handicap for trainer David Fawkes. Earlier in the meet, the chestnut gelding by Cahill Road won the Memorial Day Handicap (gr. III) by more than five lengths.
A dangerous rival on his good days is Newcomb Green's venerable 9-year-old gelding Dancing Guy with Manoel Cruz. The roan/gray son of Robyn Dancer has pushed past the $900,000 career earnings mark but has not been consistent this year. $100,000 Spend a Buck Handicap (gr. III), 3 & up, 1 1/6 miles
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Built Up (FL), 115, Eibar Coa
2. Super Frolic (KY), 117, Joe Bravo
3. Big Luck (PER), 115, Ramiro Talaverano
4. Dancing Guy (FL), 114, Manoel R. Cruz
5. Black Mambo (KY), 112, Jose C. Ferrer
6. Gold Dollar (KY), 115, Jose E. Lopez
7. Twilight Road (KY), 117, Phil Teator
8. Dependable Herbie (FL), 112, Eddie Castro
9. Puck (KY), 113, Manuel Aguilar
10. Predawn Raid (KY), 115, Jose A. Velez, Jr.
11. Hear No Evil (FL), 113, Cornelio H. Velasquez