Sis City, owned in part by New York Yankees manager Joe Torre, is the filly to beat in Saturday's $200,000 Demoiselle (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies at 1 1/8 miles.
She will be coupled in the wagering with K. D.'s Shady Lady in a field of seven entered for the Demoiselle.
Since she was claimed for $50,000 out of a maiden race at Saratoga, Sis City has improved in each of her three subsequent starts. She romped in the $60,000 Mongo Queen at Monmouth before running a solid third in the Frizette (gr. I). She turned in a fourth-place finish in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I).
"She wasn't stopping in the Breeders' Cup," trainer Richard Dutrow Jr. said of the filly's pacesetting effort. "They just ran by her."
"We were just taking a shot," Dutrow said of the decision to claim the filly for Torre, Sandy Goldfarb and other partners. "We never thought she'd turn out this good. She's made us very happy."
K. D.'s Shady, the Lady Tempted runner-up, made her first three starts on turf, then tried the Tempted as a maiden.
"I knew she'd be okay on dirt," Dutrow said.
Regally-bred Salute, by Unbridled out of Personal Ensign, broke her maiden over a suspect group two starts back, then ran third as the 1-2 favorite in the Tempted. $200,000 Demoiselle (gr. II), 2-year-old fillies 1 1/8 miles
PP. HORSE, TRAINER, JOCKEY, WGT.
1. Secrets Galore, Lupe Preciado, Stewart Elliott, 115
2. Salute, Shug McGaughey, Jerry Bailey, 115
3. a-K. D.'s Shady Lady, Richard Dutrow Jr., Cornelio Velasquez, 115
4. a-Sis City, Richard Dutrow Jr., John Velazquez, 119
5. Winning Season, D. Wayne Lukas, Rafael Bejarano, 115
6. Natalie Jane, Gerard Butler, Tyler Baze, 115
7. Money Helps, Kiaran McLaughlin, Jose Santos, 115