Expect an Angel, who won the Chaposa Springs at Calder on New Year's Eve by three lengths, heads a balanced field in the First Lady Handicap (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park Saturday.
The six-furlong dirt race, with a purse of $100,000, brings together seven fillies and mares in a very contentious race.
Expect an Angel, a 5-year-old daughter of Valid Expectations
, is owned by Kay Hale and trained by her husband, Bobby. She was a longshot in the Chaposa Springs, paying $80.80.
There are several solid stakes performers in the field. Savorthetime won the Dream Supreme Handicap at Churchill Downs Nov. 26 in her last start for trainer Steve Asmuusen.
Ebony Breeze won two stakes in 2004 -- the Endine and My Juliet -- while Feline Story took the Floral Park at Belmont last September and Cologny won seven races in 2004, including three stakes.
The field, in post position order, with weights and jockeys:
1. Savorthetime, 116, John Velazquez
2. Ebony Breeze, 116, Jerry Bailey
3. Feline Story, 116, Edgar Prado
4. Cologny, 117, Roberto Alvarado Jr.
5. Pop Princess, 114, Eibar Coa
6. Expect an Angel, 112, Jose Lopez
7. Una Mirim, 113, Manoel Cruz