Funny Cide is scheduled to return to the races Sunday in the Haskell Invitational (gr. I) at Monmouth Park on Aug. 3."We were going to work him tomorrow, but with the rain in the forecast, we decided we'd better get the work in him now," exerciser rider and assistant trainer Robin Smullen said.
The New York Racing Association clockers timed the six-furlong work in 1:12 2/5. Tagg has 1:12 on his stopwatch.
"He went in :24 1/5 the first quarter, nice and relaxed," Smullen said. "He galloped out in 1:25 3/5."
Smullen said the New York-bred gelding felt great to her.
"He needed the work, he was blowing a little bit," she said. "Everything is blowing today off this track. We worked four horses and, man, they all came back blowing."
The humidity level was high early Sunday morning and Smullen said the track seemed a bit heavy.
Smullen said that Funny Cide is likely to have routine gallops the rest of the week and will ship to Monmouth either on Saturday or the day of the race.
Most Popular Stories
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Tattersalls Ends Year With Soaring Figures