Colts by Coronado's Quest and Unbridled's Song
were among the standouts Monday during the first under tack show for the Keeneland April sale of 2-year-olds in training. They both worked a quarter mile in :20 3/5 seconds on a warm, partly sunny spring day in Central Kentucky.
"It was a wonderful day; the weather was good; the track was in great condition; and there were good, solid times all the way through," said Geoffrey Russell, Keeneland's director of sales. "It looks like we have a good, solid bunch of horses.
Consigned by Kip Elser's Kirkwood Stables, agent, the Coronado's Quest colt is out of the 10-year-old placed Dixieland Band
mare Jazz Rags, who is a full sister to stakes winner and stakes producer Dixie Accent. She also is a half-sister to added-money winner Harriman and to grade III producer Dame Avie. Robert LaPenta's Whitehorse Stables purchased the Coronado's Quest colt for $140,000 at the 2004 Keeneland September yearling auction.
Consigned by Niall Brennan Stables, agent, the Unbridled's Song colt is out of the 7-year-old unraced Storm Cat
mare In the Storm, who is a half-sister to grade I winner Formal Gold
and to stakes winner Maple Lake. Kentucky bloodstock agent Mike Ryan bought the Unbridled's Song colt for $275,000 last year at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky select July yearling sale.
Both the Coronado's Quest colt and the Unbridled's Song colt worked on Keeneland's main track. The fastest quarter-mile breeze on the turf of :21 1/5 was turned in by an Anees – Royal Terminal colt that is consigned by Gabriel Dixon, agent.
The fastest clocking on the main track at an eighth of a mile was :10 1/5, and five horses turned in that time. They included a Forest Wildcat
– Infomint filly, consigned by John D. Stephens, agent for Paragon Farms; a Silver Deputy
– Restraint filly named Maria Pia, consigned by Sandra Murphy, agent; and a Dixie Union
– Safe At the Plate colt, consigned by Robert N. Scanlon, agent. The others were a Forest Wildcat – Stalcreek filly, consigned by Randy Miles, agent, and a Yes It's True
– Tri Toasted colt, consigned by William B. Harrigan, agent.
The fastest eighth of a mile time on the turf also was :10 1/5 second, with four horses sharing the honors. Two of the four were consigned by Niall Brennan Stables. They were a Forestry
– Star of Wicklow filly and a Cozzene
– Daylight Ridge colt. The two other juveniles turning in a :10 1/5 clocking on grass were a Red Ransom
-- L'Abidjanaise colt, consigned by Nick de Meric, agent, and a Stravinksy – Mariyda filly, consigned by SAB Training.
A Forest Wildcat
– Arborea colt was pulled up by his rider during his workout and was led off the track. According to Keeneland's Russell, the colt did not appear to be seriously injured and was believed to have bucked his shins. H.T. Stables, agent for Cam Allard, is the colt's consignor.
The second and final under tack show for the Keeneland April sale is scheduled for April 18, beginning at 10:30 a.m. (EDT). The sale will be held on April 19 and will start at 1:30 p.m. (EDT).