* Closing Argument breezed four furlongs in 49.20 at Keeneland (Track:
* Buzzards Bay breezed six furlongs in 1:12 at Santa Anita (fast)
* Giacomo breezed seven furlongs in 1:23.80 at Hollywood Park (fast)
* Wilko breezed seven furlongs in 1:26.80 at Hollywood Park (fast)
* Survivalist breezed five furlongs in :59.62 at Belmont Park (fast) Tuesday, April 26 - Afleet Alex at Churchill Downs; Consolidator (possible) at Churchill Downs; General John B at Santa Anita Wednesday, April 27 - Consolidator at CD (if not on Tuesday) Thursday, April 28 - Sun King at Churchill Downs; Greater Good at Churchill Downs; Greeley's Galaxy at Churchill Downs
MONDAY'S TOP STORIES::
* Survivalist Out of the Derby Picture
* Closing Argument, California Trio Breeze
* Afleet Alex Set for Tuesday Work at ChurchillAFLEET ALEX - Cash is King Stable's Afleet Alex jogged two miles before the renovation break on a clear Monday morning with exercise rider Salomon Diego up.Trainer Tim Ritchey plans to work Afleet Alex Tuesday morning after the renovation break. Jeremy Rose, who will pilot Afleet Alex in Derby 131, will be aboard for the work.MEDIA ADVISORY: Trainer Tim Ritchey will be available for a question-and-answer session on Afleet Alex's work at 10 a.m. (all times EDT) on Tuesday. His interview schedule will return to the regular 10:30 a.m.
session on Wednesday, Apr. 27.ANDROMEDA'S HERO/BELLAMY ROAD/HIGH FLY/NOBLE CAUSEWAY/SUN KING - Trainer Nick Zito's four Churchill Downs-based Derby hopefuls galloped 1 ½ miles over a fast track.Carlos Correa was on Kinsman Stable's Bellamy Road, who is scheduled to put in his final major Derby work on Saturday. Javier Castellano, who is 4-for-4 on Bellamy Road, has the Derby call.Maxine Correa was on the Live Oak Plantation's High Fly for his morning exercise. Zito has penciled in a Saturday work for High Fly, who will be ridden in the Derby by Jerry Bailey, who is 2-for-2 on the Atticus colt.Carlos Correa galloped My Meadowview Farm's Noble Causeway. A Saturday work is planned for Noble Causeway, who will be ridden in the Derby by Gary Stevens.Carlos Correa handled the morning chores on Tracy Farmer's Sun King, who is scheduled to work Thursday. Edgar Prado, who has ridden Sun King in his four most recent starts, has the Derby call.Zito reported that Robert LaPenta's Andromeda's Hero galloped at Keeneland with Megan Smillie up."I will be bringing him over here to work either Thursday, Friday or Saturday, depending on the weather," Zito said. No Kentucky Derby rider has been confirmed for Andromeda's Hero.MEDIA ADVISORY: Zito has requested media members who wish to discuss his Derby 131 contenders gather each morning for a question-and-answer session beginning at 9:30 a.m. His horses are stabled in Barn 36.BANDINI/COIN SILVER/FLOWER ALLEY - Two of trainer Todd Pletcher's three Kentucky Derby hopefuls galloped 1 ½ miles on Monday.Exercise rider Frederic Buscail was on Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith's Toyota Blue Grass (GI) winner Bandini, while Michelle Nihei was aboard the Melnyk Racing Stables' Flower Alley, winner of the Lane's End (GII).Peachtree Stable's Coin Silver, winner of last Saturday's Coolmore Lexington Stakes (GII) at Keeneland, walked the shedrow and will return to the track on Wednesday according to Pletcher.John Velasquez, who has piloted Bandini in his four starts in 2005, has the Derby call, while Jorge Chavez retains the mount on Flower Alley, who he has ridden in the colt's past three starts. No rider has been confirmed for Coin Silver.BUZZARDS BAY - Santa Anita Derby (GI) winner Buzzards Bay worked six furlongs in 1:12 over a "fast" track at Santa Anita.The move by the Jeff Mullins-trained colt ranked sixth among 19 at the distance. The Fog City Stable-owned son of Marco Bay will ship into Churchill Downs on May 4.CLOSING ARGUMENT - Philip and Marcia's Cohen's Closing Argument breezed four furlongs in 49.20 on Monday over the training track Keeneland. The work under exercise rider Danny Wright was the second fastest of 14 at the distance on that course."He worked very well," said trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. "We're very pleased with the work. He came out of it in good shape."McLaughlin hopes to ship the son of Successful Appeal to Churchill Downs on Friday, and he will gallop on Saturday and breeze five-furlongs on Sunday.With possible rain in the forecast for later this week, McLaughlin said he had the option of staying at Keeneland for Sunday's work and then ship into Churchill Downs on Monday."We'll just play it by ear, we plan right now to ship on Friday," McLaughlin stated.CONSOLIDATOR/GOING WILD - Bob and Beverly Lewis' two-time graded stakes winner Consolidator galloped early Monday morning under exercise rider Stacy Maker, while stablemate Going Wild, fifth in last Saturday's Coolmore Lexington Stakes (GII) walked the shedrow.Consolidator, who is scheduled to be ridden by Rafael Bejarano in the Derby, is expected to work on Wednesday.GIACOMO - Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Moss' Giacomo breezed seven-furlongs in 1:23.80 over a "fast" track at Hollywood Park."I was very pleased with the work," said trainer John Shirreffs. "It couldn't have gone any better. He did it very easily."Giacomo worked in company with stablemate Bullistic and the move was the fastest of four at the distance. Shirreffs said the son of 1994 "Horse of the Year" Holy Bull, the beaten favorite in that year's Kentucky Derby would have another breeze at Hollywood Park, either five or six furlongs, before he ships to Louisville.Giacomo will board a plane bound for Churchill Downs on May 4. Jockey Mike Smith will have the mount.GREATER GOOD - Lewis Lakin's Greater Good galloped 1 ½ miles before the renovation break with exercise rider Betsy Couch up.Trainer Bob Holthus plans to work Greater Good on Thursday with Derby rider John McKee up.Greater Good's Derby participation would mark two years in a row in the "Run for the Roses" for Holthus and McKee. Pro Prado finished 13th to Smarty Jones in last year's renewal."Pro Prado is here, but there isn't a race for him Derby Week," said Holthus, who has had Greater Good in his barn since June. "We shipped him (Greater Good) from here to Ellis and to Turfway and he ran here twice."GREELEY'S GALAXY - B. Wayne Hughes' Greeley's Galaxy galloped 1 ½ miles before the renovation break with exercise rider Mikki Fincher up.Trainer Warren Stute is scheduled to arrive Wednesday night with plans to work Greeley's Galaxy on Thursday. Kent Desormeaux, who is 3-for-3 on Greeley's Galaxy, has the Derby call.HIGH LIMIT - With rain in the forecast for the next few days in Louisville, trainer Bobby Frankel sent Gary and Mary West's High Limit out for an open gallop through the lane with exercise rider Jose Cuevas up."He looked good out there galloping," Frankel said. "We just let him open gallop because of the rain (in the forecast). He will work as soon as we get a good track. I'm playing the weather; that's why I let him open gallop today. You've got to play the weather here."High Limit, who will be ridden by Ramon Dominguez in Derby 131, has been at Churchill Downs for nearly a month."He has trained really good over this track, and he breezed really well before the Blue Grass," Frankel said. "He might have breezed too good. He went 48 and 2 and came home in 11. He handles this track very well. He's a nice horse and he tries hard. If he doesn't win this race, he will win a lot of big races. He is going to be a serious horse the rest of the year."SURVIVALIST - Phipps Stable's Gotham (GIII) winner and Wood Memorial (GI) runner-up Survivalist breezed five furlongs in a sharp :59.62 on Monday at Belmont Park, but trainer Shug McGaughey said the 3-year-old son of Danzig would not be coming to Churchill Downs for the Kentucky Derby."Basically, I'm not sure we're good enough," said McGaughey. "I didn't want to just be coming for a social event. I told Mr. Phipps when I got to talk to him this morning that 'I can't tell you that when we go down there and if we take to the track and get a good trip, then we're the horse to beat.' We both agreed that if we can't say that, then we don't want to go."McGaughey said the colt would now be pointed to the $150,000 Withers (GIII) on April 30 at Aqueduct.The work by Survivalist was the fastest of 16 at the distance over a "fast" track.WILKO - Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (GI) winner Wilko, third in the Santa Anita Derby, breezed seven furlongs in 1:26.80 over a "fast" track at Hollywood Park. The move ranked third out of four at the distance.KENTUCKY DERBY 131 NOTES - Ross McCleod's General John B is scheduled to work six furlongs at Santa Anita tomorrow. Trainer Roger Stein has indicated the Santa Anita Derby (GI) runner-up is scheduled to ship to Louisville on Saturday.
KENTUCKY OAKS 131 NOTES - April 25, 2005MONDAY'S TOP STORIES:
* SUMMERLY BREEZES AT CHURCHILL DOWNS
* MEMORETTE ARRIVES AT CHURCHILLDANCE AWAY CAPOTE - Trainer Graham Motion said Kentucky Oaks (GI) hopeful Dance Away Capote would travel by van from Keeneland to Churchill Downs on Friday. The winner of the Bourbonette Breeders' Cup is scheduled to work at Churchill Downs on Friday.IN THE GOLD - The Live Oak Plantation's In the Gold galloped Monday morning at Keeneland under exercise rider Jorge Abreu.Trainer Nick Zito said the daughter of Golden Missile would work Thursday or Friday, depending on the weather, at Keeneland or Churchill Downs."She has been training on the training track at Keeneland, and she just loves it," Zito said. "I may keep her there."Rafael Bejarano, who rode In the Gold to victory in the Stonerside Beaumont (GII) on April 14, has the call for the Oaks.MEMORETTE - The third-place finisher in Keeneland's Ashland (GI) arrived this morning at Churchill Downs following a van ride from Keeneland. The daughter of Memo, who is trained by William Currin is stationed in Barn 41.RUGULA - Al and Sandra Kirkwood's Rugula jogged a mile and galloped a mile and an eighth under exercise rider Bobby Warren.Trainer Grant Forster said the Fantasy (GII) runner-up would work Friday with regular rider Greta Kuntzweiler up."She will work five-eighths and out six and see how she does and make a decision on the Oaks or the La Troienne," Forster said.RUNWAY MODEL - Naveed Chowhan's Runway Model galloped after the renovation break with exercise rider Rhett Fincher up.Pat Valenzuela has the riding assignment aboard the Golden Rod (GII) and Darley Alcibiades (GI) winner in the Oaks.SIS CITY - Stonerside Stable and partners' Sis City walked the shedrow on the day after working six furlongs in 1:14.40 at Churchill Downs."Everything is good with her," trainer Rick Dutrow said. "She will go back to the track tomorrow."Edgar Prado, who guided Sis City to a 10½-length score in the Ashland Stakes(GI) at Keeneland on April 9, has the riding assignment in the Oaks.SUMMERLY - Winchell Thoroughbreds' Summerly breezed six furlongs in 1:13.40 over a "fast" track early Monday with jockey Corey Lanerie up, a move that left trainer Steve Asmussen happy."It is the rhythm we are looking for with her," Asmussen said. "We thought she did too much before the Ashland when she worked. The track was pretty tight then."Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey will ride the Fair Grounds Oaks (GII) winner in the Kentucky Oaks.WORK TAB (Track: FAST) -Razorback Breeders' Cup Handicap (GIII) winner Added Edge breezed four furlongs in 50.20...Bay Shore Stakes (GIII) third place finisher Big Top Cat worked breezed furlongs in 47.40, the second best of 49 works at the distance... Oaklawn Handicap (GII) winner Grand Reward went four furlongs for trainer D. Wayne Lukas in 47.80, the fourth fastest of 49 works at the distance...Sunshine Million Oaks winner Hot Storm breezed four furlongs in 50.20 for Dallas Stewart...My Time Now who ran third in the Arlington Breeders' Cup Oaks (GIII) worked four furlongs in 49.20...Shadowland, the runner-up in last year's Lecomte Stakes (GIII) went four furlongs in 50.60...Arlington Breeders' Cup Oaks (GIII) winner Catboat went five furlongs in 1:02.40...Tejano Run Stakes winner Discreet Hero breezed five furlongs in 1:00.80...2003 Fayette Stakes (GIII) winner M B Sea worked five furlongs in 1:04.40...Pass Rush, the richest Indiana bred ever, covered five furlongs in 59.40. The time tied for the fastest of 58 at the distance...Humana Distaff (GI) hopeful and millionaire Lady Tak breezed six furlongs in 1:13 flat for trainer Steve Asmussen. The work was the fastest of seven at the distance...Also working six furlongs was the multiple graded stakes winner Meteor Storm, who covered the distance in 1:14.20 for trainer Wally Dollase.