"As I mentioned (May 19), our main concern is for our equine athletes, so the receiving barn will remain under quarantine for the balance of our live race meet," Indiana Downs general manager Jon Schuster said in a release.
The meet will conclude June 18. The track will utilize temporary stalls to accommodate ship-ins on a nightly basis. Track management and the Indiana Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association have worked together on making alternate arrangements. Live racing was conducted the evening of May 20, after a full-card cancellation May 19.
"We appreciate the understanding and consideration of all involved to make this alteration as safe and smooth as possible," Schuster said. "The IHBPA has gone above and beyond in helping to facilitate the numerous physical and procedural changes necessary to accommodate our live racing program under these unusual circumstances."
The disease was first suspected the morning of May 19 when two Thoroughbreds were found by the track veterinarian to show signs of strangles. They were immediately transported from the receiving barn to Purdue University, in Lafayette, Ind., where they were placed in quarantine for further observation.
Schuster said the other four horses that returned positive or suspect positive results have been isolated in quarantine and are receiving treatment. They must test negative for strangles three consecutive times before being released from quarantine and returned to the general population.
Strangles, a contagious but usually non-fatal disease, forced quarantines earlier this year at the Churchill Downs Trackside training center in Louisville, Ky., as well as in South Florida.