A field of 11 horses have been entered for the 70th running of the 2005 Longacres Mile (gr. III) Sunday, with returning champion and early morning line favorite (5-2) Adreamisborn breaking from post seven.
With a purse of $250,000, the Longacres Mile is the richest horse race in the Northwest.
In 2004, Adreamisborn and Russell Baze waited patiently behind a rapid pace under sloppy conditions, then pounced in the last quarter mile to land on top. Baze, a Washington native, has the mount again for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer.
Also returning is 2002 Mile winner Sabertooth, with Ben Russell aboard for trainer Jim Penney, making this first time in 54 years that previous Mile winners will square off against each other. Sabertooth drew post position one and is listed at 8-1.
Penney will also saddle local favorite Flamethrowintexan who has drawn the two-hole and will retain the services of Ricky Frazier. In his eight starts since joining the stable of Jim Penney, 'Tex' has posted a 5-2-1 record. He is the second choice on the morning line at 3-1.
Desert Boom races for trainer Art Sherman and breaks from the furthest outside post of 11. Listed at 7/2, he is a winner of nine of his last 12 races including the Berkeley Handicap (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields and the Claiming Crown Jewel at Canterbury Park. Robert Bone, who will also campaign Choctaw Nation in the $1 million Pacific Classic (gr. I) at Del Mar Thoroughbred Club that afternoon, owns Desert Boom.
Both races can be seen on ESPN2 from 4 to 5 p.m.
Harvard Avenue, owned by Northwest Racing Associates and Emerald Downs' President Ron Crockett, drew post three and is 6-1. Harvard Avenue cut his teeth at the Auburn oval, winning the WTBA Lads. His last 10 races have come against grade I and grade II company. Felipe Martinez will be aboard for trainer Doug O'Neill.
O'Neill won his only previous Longacres Mile attempt in 2003 with Sky Jack, who set a track and stakes record in the process (1:33).$250,000 Longacres Mile (gr. III), 3 & up
PP. Horse, Jockey, Trainer, Weight, ML Odds
1. Sabertooth, B. Russell, J. Penney, 116, 8-1
2. Flamethrowintexan, R. Frazier, J. Penney, 3-1
3. Harvard Avenue, F. Martinez, D. O'Neill, 119, 6-1
4. R. Associate, K. Krigger, A. Turner, 116, 15-1
5. Snorter, N. Mangalee, T. McCanna, 112, 20-1
6. Mr. Makah, J. Barton, B. Jenne, 115, 20-1
7. Adreamisborn, R. Baze, J. Hollendorfer, 121, 5/2
8. Turban, G. Mitchell, J. Penney, 112, 20-1
9. Quiet Cash, C. Hoverson, G. Forster, 117, 15-1
10. No Giveaway, J. Gutierrez, G. Forster, 113, 20-1
11. Desert Boom, R. Gonzalez, A. Sherman, 121, 7/2