King Robyn, a winner of 12 of his 24 career starts, is one of two strong contenders that leading trainer Jeff Mullins sends out for the $100,000 Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT) for sprinters on the lawn at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meeting Sunday.
The hard-trying King Robyn won the 2003 Morvich, which is contested at about 6 1/2 furlongs on the downhill grass course. Mullins also saddles Mighty Beau, the high weight under 119 pounds and jockey Paul Atkinson.
The Morvich was won last year by Leroidesanimaux, the 7-5 morning line favorite to win Saturday's $1.5 NetJet Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT). The race is the sixth of seven live races at Santa Anita Saturday.$100,000 Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT), 3 & up, 6 1/2 furlongs (turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight
1. Royal Place, Kerwin John, 115
2. Courageous King, Tyler Baze, 115
3. Mighty Beau, Paul Atkinson, 119
4. Geronimo, Kent Desormeaux, 117
5. Jungle Prince, Felipe Martinez, 114
6. King Robyn, Martin Pedroza, 118
7. Shadow of Illinois, Javier Santiago, 117
8. Tsigane, Tony Farina, 118