Illinois' Finest Battle in Prairie State Festival
Updated: Saturday, June 21, 2003 2:23 PM
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 6:01 PM
Fifty-nine of the best Illinois-registered Thoroughbreds in training will do battle in six $75,000-added stakes races that comprise the fourth annual Prairie State Festival Saturday at Arlington Park.
The six stakes races that make up the Prairie State Festival are:
* The Purple Violet Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at one mile
* The Springfield Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile
* The Isaac Murphy Handicap for fillies & mares, 3 & up at six furlongs
* The White Oak Handicap for 3 & up at six furlongs
* The Lincoln Heritage Handicap for fillies & mares 3 & up at 1 1/16 mile on the turf
* The Cardinal Handicap for 3 & up at 1 1/16 mile on the turf
The Cardinal, carded as the ninth of 10 races on Saturday, attracted the deepest, most talented group, with a field of 10 heading postward including reigning Illinois Horse of the Year Mystery Giver and three graded stakes victors.
Richard Otto Stable Inc.'s Summer Mis, fourth in the Chicago Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) last Saturday, returns on a week's rest to face eight state-bred rivals in the Isaac Murphy Handicap. The Tony Mitchell-trained daughter of Summer Squall won the Purple Violet during last year's Prairie State Festival.
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!