Proposed and Star Parade, who staged a dramatic battle in the Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) one month ago, lead a small but strong field of seven entered for the $300,000 Vanity Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at Hollywood Park Sunday.
Proposed, to be ridden once again by Patrick Valenzuela, edged away from Star Parade and Martin Pedroza in the final jumps of a stretch-long duel to win by head in the 1 1/6-mile Milady.
Trained by John Shirreffs, Proposed seeks her first grade I win in the Vanity, which is a sixteenth of a mile longer than the Milady. Both Proposed and Star Parade, the multiple grade I winning 7-year-old Argentine mare, were assigned 120 pounds.
Star Parade defeated Vanity rivals for trainer Darrell Vienna Healthy Addiction and Hollywood Story in the Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) prior to the Milady.
Sharp Lisa returns to the main track after running sixth of seven in the Gamely Breeders' Cup (gr. IT) May 29. She won the Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Santa Anita lawn prior to that.$300,000 Vanity Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT, Race 3, 1:04 p.m.) Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Healthy Addiction (KY), Victor Espinoza, 119, 7/2
2. Sharp Lisa (KY), Corey S. Nakatani, 118, 6/1
3. Freakin Streakin (FL), Michael C. Baze, 112, 10/1
4. Proposed (CA), Patrick A. Valenzuela, 120, 31/
5. Star Parade (ARG), Martin A. Pedroza, 120, 2/1
6. Bardy Woman (CA), Martin Garcia, 110, 30/1
7. Hollywood Story (KY), David R. Flores, 118, 4/1