The 4-year-old son of Ride the Rails owned by Sid and Jenny Craig worked a half-mile in :51 over Hollywood's fast main track Sunday morning.
The colt's impressive time of 1:41 1/5 for his 1 1/16-mile North American debut created speculation that the colt might turn up in the $750,000 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) on July 13.
"I'd like to give him more experience before I put him in a grade I like that," McAnally said. "He's a group I winner on the turf down in Argentina and the American is a mile and an eighth so that's a better spot for him right now."
Undefeated in four races, Candy Ride has earned $59,149.
McAnally also supervised the first stateside work for Welcome Millennium, who was purchased privately after a fourth-place finish in the French 1,000 Guineas (Fr-I) on May 11 with a start in the $500,000 American Oaks at Hollywood Park on July 5 in mind. The gray daughter of Kendor went an easy three furlongs in :41 4/5 over a firm turf course Sunday.
"She only cleared quarantine four days ago," McAnally said. "I have some other plans for her, but the first is the American Oaks."
Welcome Millennium won her first three races, including the Criterium du Bequet, and then placed in her next four races, three of which were group III. From a record of 8-3-2-2, the 3-year-old filly has banked $100,051.
McAnally also said that multiple grade I winner Affluent, fifth behind Horse of the Year Azeri in the May 24 Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) last out, will likely be on the road for her next start.
"She'll probably run in the (Ogden Phipps) next Saturday (June 21) at Belmont Park," McAnally said. "It's a mile and a sixteenth and is a good spot for her."
The Ogden Phipps is a Grade I event that carries a $300,000 purse.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Nutritional Management of Insulin Resistance in Horses
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise