Edmund Gann's You, the star of the $300,000-added Louisville Breeders' Cup (gr. II) on Kentucky Oaks Day and a winner of five grade I events in her stellar career, looms as a strong favorite in Saturday's $300,000-added Fleur De Lis Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs.
Trained by Hall of Famer Bobby Frankel, the 4-year-old daughter of You and I has been installed as the 6-5 favorite in a field of seven fillies and mares ages 3 & up in the mile and an eighth race. The Fleur De Lis is the second richest of the four stakes events on the "Stephen Foster Super Saturday."
You began her racing career in a claiming race under Churchill Downs' historic Twin Spires, but was purchased for Gann by Frankel after a strong performance in an allowance race during her 2-year-old season. Frankel will be looking to add to his remarkable total of five stakes wins during Churchill Downs Spring meet.
The 7 3/4-length romp by You in the Louisville Breeders' Cup was one of those victories.
You is coming off a third-place finish as the favorite in the Shuvee Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park. She was beaten that day by her Frankel-trained stablemate Wild Spirit, a Chilean import who was making her U.S. racing debut. The loss ran You's career record to 8-5-2 in 18 races, but boosted her earnings to $1,688,055.
Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey will ride You, who has been assigned high weight of 119 pounds and will concede from five to nine pounds to her Fleur De Lis rivals.
Other major contenders for the Fleur De Lis include Lucky Seven Stable's Minister's Baby and Amerman Racing Stable's Chilean import Printemps.
Minister's Baby won last year's Gardenia (gr. III) at Ellis Park, but has failed to win in two starts this year for trainer Ken McPeek. The trainer ws forced to pull likely Fleur De Lis favorite Take Charge Lady from the race earlier this week because of lingering concern over the filly's bruised left front foot.
Printemps has run in the last two renewals of Churchill Downs' Falls City Handicap (gr. II) for trainer Ron McAnally. She finished second to Forest Secrets in 2001 and was fourth to Allamerican Bertie in last year's race.
$300,000-added Fleur De Lis Handicap (gr. II), fillies & mares 3 &up, 1 1/8 mile
PP. Horse (Weight), Jockey, ML Odds
1. Minister's Baby (114), Shane Sellers, 6-1
2. You (119), Jerry Bailey, 6-5
3. So Much More (114), Pat Day, 8-1
4. Charmed Gift (112), Robby Albarado, 5-1
5. Printemps (114), Calvin Borel, 4-1
6. Missing Miss (109), Willie Martinez, 30-1
7. Nonsuch Bay (114), Mark Guidry, 5-1
Most Popular Stories
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards