Chrysalis Stables' Silverfoot returns to defend his title Saturday in the $200,000 Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. IIIT), highlighting a stakes-filled card from Kentucky Downs.
Trained by Dallas Stewart, Silverfoot was a commanding six-length winner in the 1 1/2-mile race last season, closing from off the pace as the 7-5 favorite. His most recent win came at Churchill Downs in the Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) on May 29, posting a neck decision as the even-money choice.
The 6-year-old gelding Silverfoot opens at 8-5 odds on Saturday and will break from post five in the field of eight. Jockey Mark Guidry will travel to Kentucky Downs for the mount.
Another contender is the Jonathan Sheppard-trained old-timer Rochester, who makes his fifth appearance in this event. George Strawbridge Jr.'s homebred Rochester, a 10-year-old gelding, has been a winner twice and a two-time runner-up in four previous trips to Kentucky Downs. He will break from the one post on Saturday under jockey James Graham.
The Kentucky Cup Turf is one of four stakes races on the Kentucky Downs card, which also features the $50,000 Yaqthan Stakes; the $100,000 Kentucky Cup Turf Dash and the $100,000 Kentucky Cup Ladies Turf. Post-time on Saturday is 12:10 p.m. and will include the simulcast races from Turfway Park.$200,000 Kentucky Cup Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT, Race 14, 5:08 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 1/2 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Rochester (PA), James Graham, 116, 5/1
2. Causeway (KY), Brian J. Hernandez, Jr., 112, 20/1
3. Embossed (IRE), Larry Melancon, 116, 12/1
4. Dynalympic (KY), Corey J. Lanerie, 118, 8/1
5. Silverfoot (KY), Mark Guidry, 118, 8/5
6. Lord Carmen (ON), Calvin H. Borel, 116, 6/1
7. Major Rhythm (KY), Earlie Fires, 118, 9/2
8. Rock Lobster (FL), Brice Blanc, 116, 7/2