Northern California's top two speedsters, Presidio Heights and El Dorado Shooter, will meet in Saturday's $150,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. III). The richest six-furlong race in the Bay Area, the Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint is for 3-year-olds and up.
Presidio Heights has won his last three races – including the Atherton and Danville Handicaps – for trainer Art Sherman and owner William J. Zellerbach. In the Danville on March 22 at Golden Gate Fields, Presidio Heights defeated El Dorado Shooter by a neck in their first and only meeting to date.
El Dorado Shooter missed the Atherton on April 19 at Bay Meadows but made the Saratoga Handicap on May 18. With Presidio Heights sitting out the Saratoga, El Dorado Shooter posted a six-length victory. Clifford Delima bred and trains El Dorado Shooter, who has won 11 of his 22 career starts.
Like El Dorado Shooter, Halo Cat will be looking to turn the tables on Presidio Heights. A multiple stakes-winner trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, Halo Cat finished second in the Atherton, beaten 1 1/2 lengths by Presidio Heights.
Radar Contact, a 7-year-old gelding from the Larry Ross barn, finished second in the Saratoga and third in the Atherton. Radar Contact has made $55,950 this year despite being winless in five starts, and has banked $393,955 in 36 career outings.
Taste Of Paradise, the lone invader from Southern California, returned from an eight-month layoff to win a six-furlong allowance/optional claiming race at Hollywood Park on May 2. Trained by John Sadler, Taste Of Paradise is a 4-year-old colt who has finished in the money in five of his six career starts. $150,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. III), 3 & up. 6 furlongs
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Radar Contact (CA), 115, Adalberto Diaz Lopez
2. Halo Cat (KY), 118, Russell A. Baze
3. Presidio Heights (KY), 119, Roberto M. Gonzalez
4. How Bout Jose (CA), 114, Ronald J. Warren, Jr.
5. Taste of Paradise (KY), 114, Chance J. Rollins
6. El Dorado Shooter (CA), 120, Chad Phillip Schvaneveldt
Most Popular Stories
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Downey: Derby Trail, Where They're Going Next
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Louisiana Bills to Reduce Dates, Slots Money
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals