Yolanda B. Too, who has nothing to prove, faces eleven registered Maryland-bred runners who have much to prove in the $50,000 Squan Song Stakes on Saturday at Laurel Park.
Trainer Rick Violette will send the stakes tested daughter of Two Punch down from Aqueduct to race seven furlongs on Laurel's main track. Her best added-money finishes were a third and second in graded stakes last year and a pair of fourths in graded stakes this year. Jeremy Rose, who finished second aboard Yolanda B. Too in the Maryland Million Distaff Handicap, regains the mount.
"It's good to hear she's the favorite and that we were able to find a spot like this for her," Violette said. "She's been a challenge in the past, with some episodes of bleeding, so we've kind of picked and chosen her spots this year and not just run her anywhere. Right now, she's doing great."
Each of the eleven runners set to challenge the 8-5 favorite are looking to add a first stakes win to their resumes.
Lady Of Summer finished a good second in the Rehoboth Stakes at Delaware Park. She won her only start at Laurel, an optional allowance at Saturday's distance that was contested on Dec. 1. Lady Of Summer runs for trainer Tim Ritchey and will carry Joe Rocco.
Mint Landing finished third behind Lady Of Summer in the Rehoboth. She loses Rose but picks up jockey Mario Pino. The daughter of Yarrow Brae ships out of Tony Dutrow's barn at Delaware.
$50,000 Squan Song Stakes (Race 8, 3:37 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, Bred in Maryland, 7 Furlongs
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Patriots Image, A. R. Napravnik, 118, 6/1
2. Crown You, Luis Garcia, 116, 20/1
3. Mint Landing, Mario G. Pino, 118, 4/1
4. Yolanda B. Too, Jeremy Rose, 118, 8/5
5. My Girlie, Jose C. Caraballo, 118, 12/1
6. Ursula's Passion, Dane Kobiskie, 118, 20/1
7. Vontay, Ryan Fogelsonger, 116, 12/1
8. Lucrezia, Horacio Karamanos, 118, 30/1
9. Sassy Hearted, Steve D. Hamilton, 118, 30/1
10. Disco Disco Jan, Todd Glasser, 116, 20/1
11. La Chica Rica, Oliver Castillo, 116, 20/1
12. Lady of Summer, Joseph Rocco, 116, 4/1