Trained by Todd Pletcher, Any Given Saturday has not been out since finishing second by a half-length to Tiz Wonderful in the Nov. 25 Kentucky Jockey Club (gr. II) at Churchill Downs. The son of Distorted Humor won his two starts prior to that and heads into Saturday's race as one of the leading contenders for the 2007 Triple Crown.
Pletcher said he plans to follow the same schedule with this colt that he used in 2006 for Bluegrass Cat, who won the 1 1/16-mile Davis and eventually ran second behind Barbaro in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Any Given Saturday, to be ridden by John Velazquez, carries high weight of 122 pounds, six more than each of his rivals.
The New York-bred Monster Drive is coming off a win over state-bred maidens going six furlongs at Aqueduct Dec. 15 for trainer Bill Mott.
The Robert Barbara-conditioned Brisco N Logan also makes his stakes debut after winning a 1 1/16-mile maiden race at Calder Race Course in December.
$150,000 Sam F. Davis Stakes (Race 10, 4:36 p.m.)
3-Year-Olds, 1 1/16 Miles
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Divine Master (FL), 116, Jose Lezcano
2. Brisco N Logan (KY), 116, Fernando Jara
3. Any Given Saturday (KY), 122, John R. Velazquez
4. Monster Drive (NY), 116,Cornelio H. Velasquez
5. All I Can Get (MI), 116, Luis Antonio Gonzalez
6. James Wilfred (FL), 116, Daniel Centeno
7. Singapore Swing (KY), 116, Vernon Bush