Trainer Hal Wiggins, who captured the Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) with three straight heart-pounding victories with Chorwon, starts Dolphis Morrison's Red Mountain against eight rivals Saturday in the $100,000-added fixture at Churchill Downs.There are few that could argue if Churchill Downs ever decided to change the name of the 1 3/8-mile grass race to honor the now-retired Chorwon.
The late Thomas Mueller's homebred gray gelding scored triumphs in 1997, '98 and '99 for Wiggins. The son of Cozzene won those races by respective margins of a nose, a neck and a nose.
"He was whole a lot of fun," recalled Wiggins. "He took us to a lot of places." Wiggins will try to add another renewal to his collection with Red Mountain.
"This is a whole different type of ballgame," Wiggins said. "He hasn't showed us quite what Chorwon did at this stage of the game, but he's a good, solid type horse."
Red Mountain is coming off a sixth-place finish to Louisville rival Quest Star in a 1 1/8-mile allowance race at Churchill, but Wiggins was pleased to see him close well off a very slow pace to be lose by only three lengths.
"He must have made up 20 lengths in the stretch, but that's the kind of horse he is," he said. "He's kind of like Chorwon -- he has no early speed. He just drops out of it and just makes a big run. Hopefully he'll put everything together on Saturday."
The 6-year-old Red Mountain has a record of 6-12-8 in 42 races and has earned $371,396. $100,000-added Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT), 3 & up, 1 3/8 mile
PP. Horse, Wgt., Jockey
1. Skate Away (KY), 113, Calvin H. Borel
2. Dr. Brendler (MD), 117, Cornelio H. Velasquez
3. Kim Loves Bucky, 117, Shane J. Sellers
4. Dr. Kashnikow (ON), 117, Mark Guidry
5. Rochester (PA), 117, Pat Day
6. Williams News (KY), 115, Brice Blanc
7. Red Mountain (KY), 114, Jon Kenton Court
8. Quest Star (KY), 117, Larry Melancon
9. Roxinho (BRZ), 115, Robby Albarado
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay