After scoring the most important victory of his career in the Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) more than a month ago, Kingfield Racing Stable’s 5-year-old Jambalaya returns Saturday in the $150,000 Bulleit Bourbon Pan American Handicap (gr. IIIT).
At 1 1/2 miles on turf, the Pan American is one of the four stakes races to be run prior to the $1 million Florida Derby (gr. I) at Gulfstream Park.
Jockey Javier Castellano gets a return call on Jambalaya for trainer Catherine Day-Phillips, who is based at the Ocala Training Center during the winter and Woodbine in Canada the rest of the year. A son of Langfuhr , Jambalaya won the 11-furlong Gulfstream Breeders’ Cup by a neck. The gelding carries top weight of 120 pounds and faces 11 rivals as the 3-1 morning line choice in the Pan American.
Anstu Stable’s 5-year-old gelding Ramazutti finished a game second in the Pan American last year for trainer Todd Pletcher, who is represented by contenders in all five Gulfstream stakes Saturday. His team is led by Scat Daddy as the morning line favorite in the Florida Derby, although the trainer and first-call rider John Velazquez will be in Dubai for the World Cup day program there.
Jockey Chris DeCarlo rides Ramazutti. The chestnut son of Honor Grades tries to improve on his performance last out when 11th behind Jambalaya in the Gulfstream Breeders’ Cup, beaten 6 1/2 lengths. The usually consistent Ramazutti had run very well to capture the 11-furlong Mac Diarmida Handicap (gr. IIIT) over the course on Jan. 28.
Completing the field for the 46th running of the Pan American are Gary Tanaka’s Pellegrino, Zayat Stable’s Fri Guy, Trilogy Stable’s A.J. Melini, Elliot Mavorah’s Interpatation, Live Oak Plantation’s Revved Up, Lee Pokoik’s Lima Papa, Running Horse Farm’s Hotstufanthensome, Bruce Lunsford and Lansdon Robbins III’s Drilling for Oil, R A Hill Stable’s Dynantonia and Sarah Lyn Stable’s Murch.
$150,000 Bulleit Bourbon Pan American Handicap (gr. IIIT, Race 9, 4:22 p.m.), 4 & Up, 1 1/2 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Pellegrino (BRZ), Cornelio H. Velasquez, 115, 10/1
2. Fri Guy (KY), Victor Espinoza, 114, 12/1
3. Jambalaya (ON), Javier Castellano, 120, 3/1
4. A. J. Melini (FL), Elvis Trujillo, 114, 20/1
5. Ramazutti (MD), Christopher P. DeCarlo, 116, 6/1
6. Interpatation (KY), Tom G. Turner, 115, 8/1
7. Revved Up (FL), Edgar S. Prado, 117, 6/1
8. Lima Papa (KY), Ramon A. Dominguez, 113, 12/1
9. Hotstufanthensome (KY), Rajiv Maragh, 117, 4/1
10. Drilling for Oil (KY), Manoel R. Cruz, 114, 15/1
11. Dynantonia (KY), Rafael Bejarano, 114, 15/1
12. Murch (KY), Mark Guidry, 113, 20/1