(edited press release)
Eclipse Award winner Dreaming of Anna, Frank Calabrese’s homebred filly who sealed her division’s honors last season with a victory in the Nov. 4 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), returns to the turf at her hometown race course as the strong choice in Saturday’s Double Delta Stakes at Arlington Park.
The daughter of Rahy out of Calabrese’s good race mare Justenuffheart made the pace in the May 4 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) at Churchill Downs in her most recent start before tiring in the stretch to finish sixth. However, previously she was a close second by a half-length in Gulfstream’s Feb. 25 Gaily Gaily Stakes on the turf, and she returns to that surface for Saturday’s one-mile race restricted to three-year-old fillies.
Conditioned by leading Arlington trainer Wayne Catalano, Dreaming of Anna broke her maiden on the dirt at the Illinois track just over a year ago, journeyed to Virginia for a second score in Colonial Downs’ Tippett Stakes July 29, added a third win in Canada over Woodbine’s lawn in the Sept. 17 Summer Stakes (gr. III), and made it four straight with her win in the Breeders’ Cup.
Named in honor of her owner-breeder’s late sister, Dreaming of Anna will have regular rider Rene Douglas in the irons Saturday.
Double Delta Stakes (Race 7, approximate post 3:58 p.m.), $45,000 for 3-year-old fillies, 1 mile on the turf
1. Forest Fortune, Jesse Campbell, 115
2. Top Royelle, Larry J. Sterling, Jr., 115
3. Lemonlime, Eusebio Razo, Jr. 115
4. Nice Inheritance, James Graham 118
5. Devil House, Israel Ocampo 118
6. Quiet Kingdom, Jose Ferrer, 115
7. Secret Kin, Eduardo E. Perez, 115
8. Dreaming of Anna, Rene Douglas, 118
9. Mongoose Gold, Uriel Lopez, 115
10. Trainee, Christopher A. Emigh, 115