Conducted at about one mile on the turf course, the morning line favorite at 3-1 is Rich Fantasy. The 4-year-old filly is trained by Ronny Werner and will be ridden by Jesus Castanon. Rich Fantasy last raced on May 28 in the Ouija Board Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Lone Star where she finished third on a soft turf course. Prior to that she was third on a yielding course at Churchill in the Distaff Turf Mile (gr. IIIT). On firm going she has two wins from three starts including the $74,000 Lyrique Handicap at Louisiana Downs last August.
My Chickadee, trained by Brian Williamson with Dean Butler named to ride, is the second choice on the morning line at 9-2. My Chickadee has not won on the turf in three starts. She recently ran third over the Arlington Park Polytrack in the seven furlong Chicago Breeders’ Cup Handicap (gr. III).
Kelly Von Hemel trains Seekingthereinbow, who will make her first start on the turf. The front running Iowa bred won the Northbound Pride Stakes at Canterbury last summer when it was rained off the turf. Regular rider Perry Compton has been assigned the mount. Veteran jockey Earlie Fires will ride Best Mom for his brother Jenks Fires.
Locally based Tens Holy Spirit will be ridden by Paul Nolan. The 5-year-old mare is three for four over the layout. She won the Minnesota HBPA Mile on June 16 and last summer won the Claiming Crown Tiara.
$100,000 Lady Canterbury Breeders' Cup Stakes (Race 6, 6:35 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, About 1 Mile (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Best Mom (KY), Earlie Fires, 118, 8/1
2. My Chickadee (KY), Dean P. Butler, 116, 9/2
3. Rich Fantasy (IL), Jesus L. Castanon, 118, 3/1
4. Tens Holy Spirit (FL), Paul M. Nolan, 118, 6/1
5. Honour Colony (KY), Seth B. Martinez, 118, 10/1
6. On Safari (KY), Derek C. Bell, 116, 8/1
7. Pink Martini (KY), Jesse J. Garcia, 116, 30/1
8. October Winds (KY), Juan G. Rivera, 116, 10/1
9. Seekingthereinbow (IA), Perry Compton, 120, 5/1
10. Meadow Skippin (FL), Scott A. Stevens, 118, 10/1