Owner George Krikorian said that Starrer, winner of her last three starts, will be forced to miss the $200,000-added Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I), expected to showcase Horse of the Year Azeri at Hollywood Park on May 24. "She had a little heat in her ankles after her last work, and although she is fine now, she missed too much time to make the Milady," said Krikorian after conferring with trainer John Shirreffs. Starrer won the Santa Margarita Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita in her last start in March.Azeri is scheduled to work five furlongs at San Luis Rey Downs Friday in her final drill for the Milady, according to trainer Laura de Seroux. The 5-year-old mare opened her year with a victory in the Apple Blossom Handicap at Oaklawn April 5.Trainer Beau Greely said Wednesday that he plans to saddle both Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) winner Keys to the Heart and Enjoy – a recent allowance winner – in the $200,000-added Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I), expected to showcase Horse of the Year Azeri on May 24.Victor Espinoza and Jose Valdivia, Jr., have calls on the Greely duo in a lineup expected to be kept small by the imposing presence of Azeri. The defending champion seeks to become the first Milady repeater since champion Paseana in 1993.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Wildcat Red Stretches Speed Toward Classics
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- KEEP Opposes Open-Ended Gambling Measure
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome