Unbeaten Awesome Humor, a finalist for the Eclipse Award for champion 2-year-old filly of 2002, will make her anticipated return to competition in Wednesday's featured eighth race at Churchill Downs.
The winner of the Spinaway (gr. I) and Adirondack (gr. II) at Saratoga and the Debutante (gr. III) at Churchill Downs has been out of competition since she underwent surgery to remove bone chips from both front ankles. That surgery knocked her out of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) at Arlington Park. Trainer Elliott Walden had planned to return the daughter of Distorted Humor to racing in Thursday's Miss Preakness (gr. III) at Pimlico,but elected to keep her at home for her season debut. Wednesday's race will serve as a prep for a planned run in the one-mile, $250,000 Acorn (gr. I) on June 6 at Belmont Park.
"We just wanted to get her to the Acorn without having to go to a ship," he said. "She's doing great and we're looking forward to running her."
Walden has been pleased with Awesome Humor's training in preparation for her comeback race.
"You never know, I guess, until you run her," he said, "but she's doing well. She's been working satisfactorily, so I'm excited about getting her started again.
Awesome Humor will face five rivals in Wednesday's six-furlong sprint for 3-year-olds and up. Churchill Downs oddsmaker Mike Battaglia has installed her as the even money favorite in the morning line.
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award