Unbeaten Awesome Humor, a finalist for the Eclipse Award for champion 2-year-old filly of 2002, will make her anticipated return to competition in Wednesday's featured eighth race at Churchill Downs.
The winner of the Spinaway (gr. I) and Adirondack (gr. II) at Saratoga and the Debutante (gr. III) at Churchill Downs has been out of competition since she underwent surgery to remove bone chips from both front ankles. That surgery knocked her out of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) at Arlington Park. Trainer Elliott Walden had planned to return the daughter of Distorted Humor to racing in Thursday's Miss Preakness (gr. III) at Pimlico,but elected to keep her at home for her season debut. Wednesday's race will serve as a prep for a planned run in the one-mile, $250,000 Acorn (gr. I) on June 6 at Belmont Park.
"We just wanted to get her to the Acorn without having to go to a ship," he said. "She's doing great and we're looking forward to running her."
Walden has been pleased with Awesome Humor's training in preparation for her comeback race.
"You never know, I guess, until you run her," he said, "but she's doing well. She's been working satisfactorily, so I'm excited about getting her started again.
Awesome Humor will face five rivals in Wednesday's six-furlong sprint for 3-year-olds and up. Churchill Downs oddsmaker Mike Battaglia has installed her as the even money favorite in the morning line.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays