Santos Investigation Puts Empire Maker Back in Preakness
by Steve Haskin
Date Posted: 5/10/2003 2:33:47 PM
Last Updated: 5/11/2003 2:17:06 PM

Bobby Frankel said Saturday, in wake of the investigation regarding the possibility of Jose Santos carrying a suspicious object in the Kentucky Derby, he and Juddmonte Farms have decided to point for the Preakness Stakes with Empire Maker.

However, later Saturday, Frankel told TVG he was backing off that decision after watching a replay of the Derby.

"It doesn't look like there was much there," he said.

If he decides against running Empire Maker, he said he would choose between Peace Rules and Midas Eyes for the Preakness.

The son of Unbridled finished second in the Derby, and would be declared the winner if Funny Cide is disqualified.

"If they disqualify (Funny Cide), even if it takes years in court, I got a shot at the Triple Crown," Frankel said earlier in the day. "How can I not run now? I don't know what the stewards are going to do, but they do say it looks suspicious. I had already resigned myself to the fact that I lost the Derby, and now, you never know. The drama continues."

Frankel said he's flying to New York Saturday night, and now has to decide what to do with Peace Rules and Midas Eyes, both of whom are owned by Edmund Gann. "I'm just going to see what happens over the next few days and decide then."

Santos, who had been quoted as saying he was carrying a "cue ring" to contact the outriders, said later he was misquoted, and that he was wearing an ionized "Q-Ray" bracelet for his arthritis (which can sound like outriders).

Copyright © 2014 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

SUBSCRIBE to The Blood-Horse magazine TODAY!