"She ran so awesome (in the Oaks)," Baffert said of Santa Catarina. "She ran too good to be second."
Santa Catarina was beaten by 3 ¼ lengths by Bird Town in the Oaks as the near 6-1 third choice in the full field of fillies. The bay daughter of Unbridled had just one previous start in 2002, taking an allowance/optional claiming event in March by five lengths. Overall Santa Catarina, a $950,000 yearling purchase, has earned $450,940 from a career line of 7-2-3-1.
Baffert said that The Thoroughbred Corp.'s Atlantic Ocean, ninth in the Kentucky Oaks, has been sent to her owner's Bradbury, Calif., farm.
"She needs some time," Baffert said. "She's fine, she just needs a break."
Most Popular Stories
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident