Proud Citizen Returns in Churchill Downs 'Cap
Jockey Jerry Bailey will again team with Frankel to ride Aldebaran, the 2-1 morning-line choice in a 13-horse field for the seven-furlong contest.
The race also marks the return of 2002 Kentucky Derby runner-up Proud Citizen. The D. Wayne Lukas-trained son of Gone West will race for the first time since fifth-place finish in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I). Cornelio Velasquez will ride Proud Citizen.
Fog City Stable's D'Wildcat won the Churchill Downs Handicap via disqualification last year and returns to defend his title for trainer Bob Hess, Jr. Alex Solis will ride.
Others in the field include Peeping Tom, third in the Carter; West Virginia Derby winner Wiseman's Ferry; San Fernando Breeders' Cup (gr. II) winner Pass Rush; Ack Ack Handicap (gr. II) winner Twilight Road, Mountain General and Lord Abounding. $200,000 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II), 4 & up, 7 furlongs
1. Peeping Tom (KY), Shaun Bridgmohan, 116, 10/1
2. Wiseman's Ferry (KY), Larry Melancon, 117, 10/1
3. Swift Replica (FL), Patrick A. Valenzuela, 112, 50/1
4. Pass Rush (IN), Pat Day, 117, 5/1
5. R. Baggio (KY), Shane J. Sellers, 115, 30/1
6. Aldebaran (KY), Jerry D. Bailey, 120, 2/1
7. Cappuchino (KY), Eibar Coa, 112, 20/1
8. D'wildcat (KY), Alex O. Solis, 117, 6/1
9. Binthebest (KY), Robby Albarado, 113, 12/1
10. Twilight Road (KY), Kent J. Desormeaux,115, 10/1
11. Mountain General (KY), Lonnie Meche, 118, 15/1
12. Lord Abounding (FL), Mark Guidry, 114, 30/1
13. Proud Citizen (KY), Cornelio H. Velasquez, 119, 6/1
Copyright © 2013 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.