Take Charge Lady vs. You in Kentucky Oaks
Updated: Friday, May 2, 2003 1:51 PM
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 8:01 PM
A showdown between two of America's finest 4-year-old fillies headlines the $300,000 Louisville Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II), one of three important stakes events that share the spotlight on Friday's race card at Churchill Downs that is headlined by the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Select Stable's Take Charge Lady, winner of the Ashland (gr. I) and Spinster (gr. I) last year and a narrow loser to reigning "Horse of the Year" Azeri in the recent Apple Blossom (gr. I) at Oaklawn, and Edmund Gann's You, a five-time Grade I winner from the powerhouse stable of Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel, are the major players in a field of six entered for the Louisville Breeders' Cup.
The 1 1/16-mile race for fillies and mares ages 3 & up includes a $100,000 purse supplement from the Breeders' Cup Stakes program. Take Charge Lady, a 4-year-old daughter of Dehere trained by Ken McPeek, is listed as a strong 4-5 morning line favorite. You, who will attempt to snap a five-race losing streak in the Oaks Day contest, is the 7-5 second choice.
Shane Sellers, who is enjoying great success in his return from a knee injury that had once appeared to end his career, will ride Take Charge Lady, the high weight at 119 pounds. Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey has the mount on You, who gets a one-pound weight concession from Take Charge Lady.$300,000 Louisville Breeders' Cup -- 3:55 p.m. (EDT), fillies & mares, 3 & up, 1 1/16 mile
PP. Horse, Jockey , Wgt., M/L Odds
1. Red N' Gold, Edgar Prado, 112, 12-1
2. You, Jerry Bailey, 118, 7-5
3. Fly Borboleta, Larry Melancon, 109, 12-1
4. Majority Whip, Pat Day, 112, 10-1
5. Seven Four Seven, Brian Peck, 113, 12-1
6. Take Charge Lady, Shane Sellers, 119, 4-5$100,000 Crown Royal American Turf (gr. IIIT)
Claiborne Farm's Remind, Raymond Cottrell, Sr.'s White Cat and Robert and Beverly Lewis' Senor Swinger head an overflow field of 15 3-year-olds entered in the 1 1/16-mile contest on Churchill Downs' Matt Winn Turf Course.
The Bill Mott-trained Remind, who has been installed as the 3-1 favorite in the Crown Royal American Turf, is coming off an upset loss as the favorite in the Transylvania (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland. It was the first loss in three turf starts for the son of Deputy Minister, who will be ridden by Jerry Bailey.
White Cat, the winner of Transylvania for trainer Ken McPeek, and Senor Swinger, who makes his turf debut for trainer Bob Baffert, have been installed as co-second choices at 4-1. The field for the Crown Royal American turf will be limited to 12 horses.$100,000-added Crown Royal American Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT), 3-year-olds, 1 1/16 mile on turf
PP. Horse, Rider, Wgt., ML Odds
1. Lx Commander (TX), Lonnie Meche, 119, 30/1
2. Imitation (KY), Jose A. Santos, 117, 10/1
3. Senor Swinger (KY), Pat Day, 117, 4/1
4. Marsh (KY), Alex O. Solis, 117, 12/1
5. Hot Hand (KY), Cornelio H. Velasquez, 117, 15-1
6. Remind (KY), Jerry D. Bailey, 117, 3/1
7. White Cat (KY), Shane J. Sellers, 123, 4/1
8. Ontario (KY), Edgar S. Prado, 123, 15/1
9. Rapid Proof (KY), Robby Albarado, 123, 12/1
10. Foufa's Warrior (MD), Harry Vega, 117, 15/1
11. Californian (GB), Kent J. Desormeaux, 123, 6/1
12. Torre and Zim (KY), John R. Velazquez, 117, 15/1Also Eligible
13. Color Me Gone (KY), Mark Guidry, 115, 12/1
14. Rahy Vision (KY), David Romero Flores, 115, 15/1
15. Moonshine Hall (KY), Brian Dale Peck, 115, 20/1$100,000 Aegon Turf Sprint (gr. IIIT
A pair of millionaires who rank among the world's finest turf sprinters will meet in Friday's five-furlong sprint for 3-year-olds and up.
Herrick Racing's 8-year-old Nuclear Debate, a Darrell Vienna trainee with career earnings of $1,185,880, faces M C Stable's Morluc, a 7-year-old turf sprint star who has earned $1,022,698 for trainer Randy Morse.
Nuclear Debate is looking for his first win of the year. Morluc, who is racing for the first time since July, will be joined in the starting gate by a pair of Morse-trained stablemates: defending Aegon winner Testify and Mighty Beau.$100,000 Aegon Turf Sprint (gr. IIIT), 3 & up, 5 furlongs on turf
PP. Horse, Rider, Wgt., ML Odds
1. Abderian (IRE), Jerry D. Bailey, 122, 9/2
2. Red Lightning (KY), Calvin H. Borel, 122, 20/1
3. Airbourne Command (KY), John R. Velazquez, 116, 15/1
4. Mighty Beau (OK), Shane J. Sellers, 114, 7/2
5. Devil Time (OH), Pat Day, 120, 12/1
6. Bop (VA), Patrick A. Valenzuela, 120, 5/1
7. Testify (KY), Robby Albarado, 122, 5/1
8. No Jacket Required (KY), Brice Blanc, 122, 8/1
9. Nuclear Debate (KY), Gary L. Stevens, 122, 3/1
10. Morluc (KY), Shane J. Sellers, 122, 7/2
11. Fiscally Speaking (KY), Jon Kenton Court, 114, 20/1
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!