"He's good," Mandella said. "He's been on the water treadmill at the farm for about a week now and, if all goes well, will be back (at Santa Anita) in about three weeks."
Johar, a son of Gone West and the outstanding race mare Windsharp, was last seen winning the Jan. 20 San Marcos Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita. Before that, the 4-year-old colt took home top honors in the Hollywood Derby (gr. I) and Oak Tree Derby (gr. II) and also placed in the Del Mar Derby (gr. II) Cinema Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III), Will Rogers Handicap (gr. III) and Oceanside Stakes. Overall, Johar has earned $672,215 from a career line of 12-5-3-1.
Mandella also said that Wertheimer Farms' promising sophomore Listen Indy, sidelined with a minor shin injury since finishing fourth in an allowance race on Jan. 24, will begin his turn on the water treadmill in the next couple of days. After four weeks doing that, Mandella said the son of A.P. Indy will be fit enough to be put back into light training.
Listen Indy, who finished third in last year's Norfolk Stakes (gr. II) and seventh in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. II) owns a career line of 6-1-1-2 for earnings of $73,960.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win