Barretts officials have canceled the Classic I sale of horses of racing age because of an insufficient number of entries. The auction had been scheduled for Oct. 26 in Southern California following the Breeders’ Cup World Championships (Oct. 24 and 25) at Santa Anita Park.
"We found that California's racing stables primarily want to be buyers, not sellers, in that kind of market," said Jerry McMahon, Barretts’ president and general manager, a prepared statement. "Prohibitive transportation costs kept us from attracting quality horses from out of the area."
McMahon added that the company had not made any decision regarding subsequent sales of this kind.
McMahon, who was attending the Keeneland September yearling sale, elaborated Sept. 10 on the decision to call off the Classic I auction.
“We had a number of horses that ran right out of the sale by running too well,” he said “or we had some that didn’t run well at all and became non-candidates; that’s really what happened to those that were prospects. But in general, it wasn’t a deep enough group, and we don’t have large enough racing stables in California that annually turn over a lot of horses. The Eastern guys (with horses of racing age to sell) really are just utilizing their local markets, including the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky and the Keeneland November mixed sales, and the international guys are using the markets in Europe.”