James Scatuorchio and John Iracane’s Bittel Road, the only stakes winner in a field of 12 2-year-olds, tries to stay unbeaten when he lines up for the Woodford Reserve Bourbon Stakes (gr. IIIT) Oct. 5 on the Keeneland turf.
The winner of the Bourbon will get an automatic berth in the Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf
Oct. 25 at Santa Anita. Last year, Bourbon runner-up Nownownow won the inaugural Juvenile Turf at Monmouth Park.
Bittel Road, by Stormy Atlantic
, out of the Sultry Song mare Sultry Sal, broke his maiden by 3 1/4 lengths July 8 on the Belmont grass going six furlongs. He followed that up with a narrow victory in the $80,000 With Anticipation Stakes on Saratoga’s turf course Aug. 29 while going off as the even-money favorite. The 1 1/16-mile event was the same distance as the Bourbon. As a result of his stakes win, the dark bay colt will carry top weight of 121 pounds. John Velazquez will get the mount once more.
Bittel Road, who was bred in Kentucky by Iracane, turned in a work over the Keeneland Polytrack Sept. 30. He stopped the clock in :49-flat for four furlongs. He is trained by Todd Pletcher, who won the event in 2006 with Twilight Meteor.
Also unbeaten in two starts is Virginia Tarra Trust’s Illinois homebred Giant Oak. The son of Giant's Causeway
, who ships in from Chicago for trainer Chris Block, broke his maiden on the Arlington Park turf in August before scoring by five lengths in optional claiming company last month on the Arlington Polytack. Edgar Prado will be aboard for the first time.
Big Time Racing’s Ghost Five has also won his last two. The Monmouth shipper won for the first time in four starts Sept. 7 in a $40,000 maiden claimer, then followed up with an allowance win two weeks later. He is a son of Grand Slam
, out of the Unbridled mare Unsurpassed. Carlos Marquez Jr. rides for trainer Greg Sacco.
$200,000 Woodford Reserve Bourbon Stakes (gr. IIIT, Race 7, 4:10 p.m.), 2-Year-Olds, 1 1/16 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Bittel Road (KY), 121, John R. Velazquez
2. Giant Oak (IL), 117, Edgar S. Prado
3. Har D Boy (KY), 117, Shaun Bridgmohan
4. Dynamic Force (FL), 117, Kent J. Desormeaux
5. Ninth Client (KY), 117, Julien R. Leparoux
6. Ghost Five (KY), 117, Carlos H. Marquez, Jr.
7. Appalachian Trail (KY), 117, Jamie Theriot
8. Vaquero (KY), 117, Brian Joseph Hernandez, Jr.
9. Just Like Biscuit (KY), 117, Calvin H. Borel
10. Driving Snow (GB), 117, Robby Albarado
11. Albin (KY), 112, Rene R. Douglas
12. Jack Spratt (KY), 117, Miguel Mena