Offlee Wild, trained by T.V. Smith for Azalea Stables, backed down the stretch, turned around and cantered to the mile post where he was joined by the outrider. Turned loose nearing the three-quarter pole, the son of Wild Again cruised to the five-eighths and never got out of a high lope while under stout restraint by his rider, stopping clocker Tom Bridges' watch in 1:03 2/5.By contrast, Lots of Sizzle, who is owned by Everest Stables, wearing blue blinkers emblazoned with his trainer Dallas Keene's logo, also backed up in the company of an outrider, broke off nearing the half, was encouraged by a tap of the stick at the eighth pole and was in full stride at the wire, zipping four furlongs in:47 1/5.In other Blue Grass news, Tom and Bonnie Hamilton's Southwest Stakes winner Great Notion will start in the Blue Grass instead of the Arkansas Derby (gr. II) to be run the same day.
The Kentucky-bred son Elusive Quality was an $82,000 purchase at Keeneland's 2001 September Yearling Sale. He has three victories and two second-place finishes in five lifetime starts. Larry Melancon has the call for trainer Darrin Miller.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29