As for Indian Express, who was beaten by just a nose by Buddy Gil in his first start around two turns, Baffert couldn't have been more pleased with the performance of the son of Indian Charlie."It was awesome," Baffert said. "I love those big races; I get a real charge out of them, especially when my horses run like Indian Express. I couldn't let (Ocean Terrace) steal it, so I had to tell Tyler to go with him. And (Indian Express) came back in the stretch after sitting up there on the front and galloped out strong. He was even in front of (Buddy Gil) after the wire."
"At the top of the stretch I was one, two three. I was looking pretty good. I'm still looking pretty good (for the Derby). Kafwain looks great today, though. He looks better today than he did after his race in Louisiana (a runner-up finish in the grade II Louisiana Derby)."
Baffert also confirmed that Bob and Beverly Lewis' Senor Swinger will make Saturday's Wood Memorial Stakes (gr. I) at Aqueduct after watching the gray colt work six furlongs in 1:11 3/5 handily on Sunday morning. Baffert actually sent the colt out for a five-furlong work, which he caught in :59 1/5, but track clockers caught him going three-quarters of a mile instead.
"I wanted to see him work before I committed to the race," Baffert said. "And he's definitely going to the Wood. I liked the way he went today."
Santa Catarina, who will work up to the May 2 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), went mile in 1:38 4/5.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online