Artax Handicap Attracts Richter Scale Rematch
Updated: Saturday, April 5, 2003 4:29 PM
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2003 7:20 PM
Double G Stable's Tour of the Cat, winner of the Richter Scale Breeders' Cup Sprint Championship (gr. II) last month, is the high weight with 118 pounds in Saturday's $100,000 Artax Handicap at seven furlongs at Gulfstream Park.
Jockey Abad Cabassa Jr. rides the 5-year-old Tour d'Or gelding in the companion feature to the Aventura Stakes on Saturday's Gulfstream card.
Burning Roma, carrying 117 pounds from the outside post in the field of eight, was second by a head to Tour of the Cat in the Richter Scale and appears the one to beat once again.
Also opposing Tour of the Cat in the Artax is the Michael Gill-owned entry of speedy Native Heir, who set the pace in the seven-furlong Richter Scale before fading at odds of 3-5, and late-running Highway Prospector. $100,000 Artax Handicap, 3 & up, 7 furlongs
PP. Horse, Wgt., Rider
1. Storm Craft (KY), 114, Jose A. Velez, Jr.
2. Swift Replica (FL), 112, Aurelio Toribio, Jr.
3. Highway Prospector (KY), 114, Cornelio H. Velasquez
4. Tour of the Cat (FL), 118, Abad Cabassa, Jr.
5. Native Heir (VA), 115, Cornelio H. Velasquez
6. No Excuse Needed (GB), 113, Edgar S. Prado
7. Better Road (KY), 112, Manoel R. Cruz
8. Burning Roma (KY), 117, Eibar Coa
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!