Glen Hill Farm’s No Inflation, a romping winner last out in the Kent Stakes (gr. IIIT), was installed as the lukewarm 3-1 favorite in the $200,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) Oct. 10 at Hawthorne Racecourse in Illinois.
A field of 10 was drawn for the 1 1/8-mile turf contest, which headlines Hawthorne’s nine-race program. Post time for the Hawthorne Derby is set for 4:14 p.m. CDT.
No Inflation went wire-to-wire under Rosemary Homeister Jr., in the Sept. 5 Kent Stakes at Delaware Park for his first win in his last seven starts. The homebred son of Repriced pulled away on the final turn and cruised home for a 6 1/4-length score.
Though he bay gelding’s only other win in 2009 came in an allowance contest in February at Tampa Bay Downs, he has been in good form for much of the season, finishing on the board in six of his eight starts. He missed by a length in the Jefferson Cup (gr. IIT) in June at Churchill Downs and by a head in the American Derby (gr. IIT) in July at Arlington Park.
Breaking from post 7, No Inflation will be ridden by Homeister for trainer Tom Proctor.
The 7-2 second choice is Frank Calabrese’s Romacaca
, the lone filly in the race. Claimed back in April for $25,000, the daughter Running Stag
won five consecutive races until finishing runner-up by 1 1/4 lengths last out in her graded stakes debut—the Sept. 7 Pucker Up (gr. IIIT) at Arlington. Earlier in the summer she captured a pair of stakes in Chicago. Regular rider E.T. Baird will ride for Danny Miller.
Others that figure to take action are William Stiritz’s Proceed Bee
, a three-time stakes winner this season including the Honor Glide at Arlington last out, and Out at Night
, runner-up to No Inflation in the Kent.
$200,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT, Race 7, 4:14 p.m.), 3YO, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer, Odds
1. Cosmic King (KY), 3/G L J Alvarado ,114, S Ritter, 10/1
1A. Empty Handed (KY), 3/C L J Alvarado, 114, S Ritter, 10/1
2. Romacaca (FL), 3/F L E T Baird, 113, D L Miller, 7/2
3. Jack Spratt (KY), 3/C L V Lebron, 120, M J Maker, 12/1
4. Quite a Handful (KY), 3/C L R A Meier, 114, A M Hansen, 10/1
5. Sir Al (IRE), 3/C L* T Thornton, 114, W E Morey, 6/1
6. Proceed Bee (KY), 3/G L C A Emigh, 120, S Becker, 5/1
7. No Inflation (FL), 3/G L* R B Homeister Jr., 122, T F Proctor, 3/1
8. Two Ninety Five (FL), 3/G L I Karlsson, 114, T R Young, 20/1
9. Out At Night (KY), 3/G L* J Rocco Jr., 114, R Martin, 9/2