The Thoroughbred Corp.'s Major Idea rallied from fifth place to post a half-length victory over Star Vega in the $83,800 Some Sensation Stakes for 3-year-old fillies Thursday at Santa Anita Park.
Ridden by Victor Espinoza at high weight of 120 pounds, Major Idea ran one mile on turf in 1:35.12 and paid $3.80, $2.80 and $2.40. Neil Drysdale is the trainer of the daughter of Cherokee Run, who posted her third straight victory and the second stakes triumph. She captured the Blue Norther Handicap on Jan. 8.
Star Vega, Mike Smith riding at 116 pounds, closed ground from far back to finish second in her U.S. debut. The runner-up was coupled with La Campanella in the wagering and returned $6.60 and $3.80.
Favola, David Flores aboard at 116 pounds, also finished well to take third place and paid $3.60 for show.
The Kentucky-bred Major Idea is 4-1-2 from eight starts overall. The $50,010 first prize increased her earnings to $194,110.
Major Idea settled into a good position for Espinoza on the backstretch. The dark bay filly was placed in the pocket, some four lengths off the pace, as Oneexcessivenite led through six furlongs in 1:11.29. Swung four wide into the stretch, Major Idea reeled in the leaders with a quick burst of speed, and was geared down nearing the wire.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Arqana Sale Closes With Records