J D Farms’ homebred Bim Bam, who upset Interactif last month, shares top weight with Dean's Kitten in the $150,000 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT) March 6 at Gulfstream Park.
A nine-furlong test for 3-year-olds on the turf course, the Palm Beach co-headlines a Gulfstream program that also includes the Herecomesthebride Stakes
(gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies.
Bim Bam has been a picture of consistency during his career, having finished in the money in all nine starts, including four wins. As a 2-year-old, he captured a pair of Calder stakes—the Foolish Pleasure on the dirt and the Arthur I. Appleton Juvenile Turf in his season finale.
Under jockey Eibar Coa, Bim Bam outfought Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) prospect Interactif to score a nose victory in the Feb. 7 Hallandale Beach Stakes. David Brownlee trains the son of Deputy Wild Cat—Laurel Light, by Colony Light, who will carry 120 pounds while breaking under Coa from post 6.
Also returning from the Hallandale Beach are Joseph Riccelli’s Asphalt
and Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s homebred Dean’s Kitten, who were separated by only a nose in their third- and fourth-place finishes, respectively.
Asphalt won an allowance tilt in his 3-year-old debut Jan. 13 at Gulfstream and is 2-1-1 from six starts. Jockey Rajiv Maragh will ride for Eddie Kenneally.
Dean’s Kitten scored his biggest win in Belmont Park’s Vision Stakes last October. He was sixth in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf (gr. IIT). Jockey Cornelio Velasquez will be aboard for Mike Maker.
Graham Motion trainee Cat Park
was sixth in the Hallandale Beach, but turned in solid effort when third by only a length in the New Year’s Day Tropical Park Derby (gr. IIIT) at Calder, his season debut.
The Herecomesthebride, also at nine furlongs, drew a field of nine and is led by George and Lori Hall’s In the Rough
, winner of the Feb. 14 Coconut Grove Stakes at Gulfstream in only her second start on turf. The daughter of Stormy Atlantic
is 2-1-0 from six starts overall for trainer Kelly Breen. Jockey John Velazquez has the mount on the bay filly, who was bred in Virginia by Lazy Lane Farms.
Only a half-length back in second in the Coconut Grove was Brereton Jones' Check the Label
, who was the beaten favorite in that race. Jockey Alan Garcia gets a return call for Graham Motion. The daughter of Stormin Fever
had one win and two seconds in four previous starts on turf and finished a respectable third behind Sassy Image in the ‘off the turf’ Sweetest Chant Stakes Jan. 17 at Gulfstream.
Back on Jan. 23 in an allowance contest, Pinnacle Racing Stable and William Kaplan’s Musical Romance
defeated In the Rough by a half-length, and the Concorde's Tune
filly returns to face her rival again. Musical Romance made one start since that allowance win, a sixth-place effort in the filly division of the OBS Championship Stakes on the synthetic Safetrack surface. Jockey Manoel Cruz will be in the irons.
$150,000 Herecomesthebride Stakes (gr. IIIT, Race 7, 4:15 p.m.), 3YO Fillies, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Splendid Sound (FL), E Coa, 116, W P White
2. Musical Romance (FL), M R Cruz, 116, W A Kaplan
3. Check the Label (KY), A Garcia, 116, H G Motion
4. In the Rough (VA), J R Velazquez, 120, K J Breen
5. Profiteroles (KY), E Trujillo, 116, K J Breen
6. Upperline (KY), J Castellano, 116, M Stidham
7. Apple Charlotte (KY), J Rose, 116, H G Motion
8. Khancord Kid (NY), R Maragh, 116, J C Kimmel
9. Dynazaper (KY), K J Desormeaux, 116, W I Mott
10. Tesoro de Amor (KY) (MTO), P Lopez, 116, W A Kaplan
$150,000 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT, Race 9, 5:22 p.m.), 3YO, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Paddy O'Prado (KY), J L Castanon, 116, D L Romans
2. Dean's Kitten (KY), C H Velasquez, 120, M J Maker
3. Our Champion (KY), E Trujillo, 116, J D Braddy
4. Asphalt (FL), R Maragh, 116, E Kenneally
5. Lethal Combination (KY), J Rose, 116, K P McLaughlin
6. Bim Bam (FL), E Coa, 120, D R Brownlee
7. Center Divider (KY), A Garcia, 116, C Clement
8. Mutiny (KY), K J Desormeaux, 116, W I Mott
9. Cat Park (PA), J R Velazquez, 116, H G Motion