Lewis Lakin’s Dynazaper, winner of the Edgewood Stakes April 29 at Churchill Downs in her most recent start, heads a strong field of 3-year-old fillies in the $125,000 Regret Stakes (gr. IIIT), including three starters from the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
, It's Tea Time
, and Jody Slew
—fourth, ninth, and 13th
in the Oaks, respectively—will all head to turf for the 1 1/16-mile Regret, which is the fourth of five graded stakes on the June 12 Churchill program. Beautician, runner-up in the Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) last year at Santa Anita, will make her turf debut.
Trained by Bill Mott, who has saddled the Regret winner a record three times, Dynazaper won the Edgewood, which was also at 1 1/16 miles on the turf. The daughter of Ghostzapper
will make her third start on turf. She will be ridden by Robby Albarado and break from post 10.
Also coming off a stakes victory is Gary Chervenell’s Joharmony
, winner of the Hilltop Stakes on May 14 at Pimlico. The Johar
filly enters the Regret with a four-race win streak, the last three on grass. Trained by Leigh Delacour, Joharmony will be ridden by Javier Castellano and breaks from post 4.
Also in the field is Snow Top Mountain
, a half-sister to 2009 Regret winner Keertana.
Also on the card is the $100,000 Jefferson Cup Stakes
(gr. IIIT), which is for 3-year-old males going 1 1/16 miles over the same turf course. A field of nine was drawn.
Joseph Riccelli’s Asphalt
and Michael Bruder’s Guys Reward
, the two-three finishers in the American Turf (gr. IIT) at Churchill April 30, are a pair major contenders.Trained by Eddie Kenneally, Asphalt ran third in the Hallandale Beach and fourth in the Palm Beach (gr. IIIT) this winter at Gulfstream Park prior to his American Turf effort. The son of War Chant
was runner-up in an allowance race in Louisville as a juvenile. Jose Lezcano will ride.
Trained by Dale Romans, Guys Reward was a fast-closing third in the Transylvania (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland prior to the American Turf. He has not won since breaking his maiden nine starts ago. Robby Albarado will be in the irons.
Romans has a second starter in the race with Lost Aptitude
, winner of the Grand Canyon overnight stakes at Churchill last fall. Garrett Gomez has the call on Lost Aptitude, who will carry top weight of 119 pounds.
$125,000 Regret Stakes (gr. III, Race 9, 4:59 p.m.), 3YO Fillies, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Go Ask Alex (KY), J K Court, 116, J Glenney
2. La Gran Bailadora (KY), E Coa, 116, A McKeever
3. Caminadora (KY), C S Nakatani, 116, T A Pletcher
4. Joharmony (KY), J Castellano, 118, L Delacour
5. Queen of the Creek (KY), J Lezcano, 116, T F Proctor
6. Jody Slew (KY), M Mena, 118, W B Calhoun
7. Ambitoness (KY), J Theriot, 116, W J Cesare
8. It's Tea Time (KY), G K Gomez, 116, G R Arnold, II
9. Queen Hazel (KY), B J Hernandez Jr., 116, D E Sanner
10. Dynazaper (KY), R Albarado, 116, W I Mott
11. Beautician (KY), A O Solis, 116, K G McPeek
12. Snow Top Mountain (KY), F Lenclud, 116, T F Proctor
13. Laura Babe (KY), C H Borel, 116, R D Jackson
$100,000 Jefferson Cup Stakes (gr. III, Race 7, 3:57 p.m.), 3YO, 1 1/16 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Formulaforsuccess (KY), C S Nakatani, 117, J P Pucek
2. Gleam of Hope (KY), E T Baird, 117, A L Reinstedler
3. Asphalt (FL), J Lezcano, 117, E Kenneally
4. Guys Reward (KY), R Albarado, 117, D L Romans
5. Scottkeith'skitten (KY), J K Court, 117, R C Faulkner
6. Dont Tell Kitten (KY), F Geroux, 117, W M Catalano
7. Lost Aptitude (KY), G K Gomez, 119, D L Romans
8. Our Douglas (KY), A O Solis, 117, T F Proctor
9. Psychic Income (KY), C J Lanerie, 117, K G McPeek