P Day Slight Pick in Laurel's Campbell 'Cap
Eleven older males who have combined to win 81 races and over $3 million have entered Sunday's $100,000 John B. Campbell Handicap at Laurel Park. The likely favorite in the 1 1/8-mile test will be P Day, the popular 8- year-old with 14 lifetime wins. The Charlie Hadry-trained homebred has won 12 times over this surface, including two straight added money victories. On Jan. 11, jockey Ryan Fogelsonger guided the son of Private Terms to victory in the Native Dancer Stakes at this distance."I have been on him twice and he is one of my favorites," said Fogelsonger, the leading rider at Laurel Park. "A lot of the same horses he faced are in this race and all were right there at the wire last time, so we have our work cut out. But he is a tough horse and finds ways to win."Four horses who competed in that race are also entered including the second, third and fourth place finishers (Full Brush, Hay Getoutofmyway & Pickupspeed) and Lyracist, who won the Campbell a year ago.Other contenders include stakes winners First Amendment and Polish Pride, as well as In The Clear, a winner of three consecutive allowance races at Laurel.$100,000 John B. Campbell Handicap, 4 & up, 1 1/8 mile
PP. Horse, Rider, Wgt.
1. Full Brush (MD), Morris Bailey, 115
2. Tempest Fugit (FL), Jose C. Caraballo, 117
3. In the Clear (KY), Rick Wilson, 113
4. Lyracist (KY), Nicholas J. Petro, 115
5. Quiet Gratitude (MD), J. D. Acosta, 113
6. First Amendment (MD), Michael J. Gill, 116
7. Polish Pride (MD), Jozbin Z. Santana, 116
8. Hay Getoutofmyway (MD), Mario G. Pino, 114
9. P Day (MD), Ryan Fogelsonger, 117
10. Jolie's Thunder (FL), Harry Vega, 111
11. Pickupspeed (MD), Horatio Karamanos, 115
Copyright © 2015 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.