Grey Comet, Boston Park, Go Rockin' Robin, Mustang Jock and Torre and Zim have emerged as likely starters for Saturday's $75,000-added Whirlaway for 3-year-olds at a 1 1/16 miles at Aqueduct Racetrack in New York.Grey Comet, a Distinctive Pro colt that is undefeated in four starts for trainer Gary Contessa, has won both of his inner track starts and has also won on mud and slop. After three starts in New York-bred restricted races, he came back with an impressive gate-to-wire victory in the 1 mile-and-70-yard Count Fleet in his first start against open company.
Mustang Jock, in his first start against winners, pressed the pace in the Count Fleet and finished a length behind Grey Comet. It was four lengths back to the nearest contender, Penobscot Bay, in third. Trained by Ken McPeek, the Wild Again colt has been working well at Belmont Park.
Boston Park makes the trip north from Gulfstream Park, where he was sixth to Offlee Wild in the grade III Holy Bull on Jan. 18.
Torre and Zim, named for New York Yankees Manager Joe Torre and coach Don Zimmer, has won two of his three career starts for trainer Richard Dutrow Jr. He was an easy winner at a mile on December 15 and has worked strong in the mornings here on the inner dirt track.
Listed as questionable for the Whirlaway are Auto City, Gimmeawink, Penobscot Bay and Skamper. The Whirlaway is the last chance for straight 3-year-olds to go two turns before the grade 1, $750,000 Wood Memorial on Saturday, April 12 -- New York's nine-furlong prep for the May 3rd Kentucky Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Miss Mossman Surprises in New Zealand Oaks
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog