Overflow fields of 12 and four also-eligibles were each drawn for the Tropical Turf and My Charmer Handicaps, both $100,000 grade III turf events Dec. 4 at Calder Casino and Race Course.
Both races are at 1 1/8 miles with the My Charmer, for fillies and mares, scheduled as race 9 with a 3:53 p.m. EST post. The Tropical Turf for 3-year-olds and up is two races later with a 4:45 p.m. post time.
The Tropical Turf features the top three finishers of the Florida-restricted Nov. 13 Bonnie Heath Turf Cup, as well as 120-pound highweights Rahy's Attorney
and Never On Sunday
, both group/grade I winners. Shippers from New York and Kentucky also entered in the full field.
Martin Cherry’s Pickapocket
won the Bonnie Heath by a nose over Bim Bam
, with Tannersville
another 1 1/4 lengths back in third. A 6-year-old gelding by Mecke
, Pickapocket will be making his 11th
start of the season and seeks his fourth victory. He’s a four-time stakes winner with earnings of $455,434 from 32 lifetime starts. Jermaine Bridgmohan will ride for trainer Marty Wolfson, who will also saddle Twilight Meteor
J D Farm’s Bim Bam was denied his third win in 10 starts this season in the Bonnie Heath. The 3-year-old Deputy Wild Cat
colt scored his biggest win of the year way back in February when he defeated Interactif
by a nose in the Hallandale Beach Stakes. He was also runner-up by that same margin to Tannersville in the Oct. 16 Calder Derby. Jose Alvarez has the mount for David Brownlee.
Tannersville seeks his sixth win in 11 starts this season for trainer Henry Collazo. The West Acre colt began his campaign by running in the claiming ranks but has exceeded expectations. He has three wins in five starts on the Calder turf.
Ellie Boje Farm’s homebred Rahy’s Attorney has been a regular on the Woodbine circuit since 2007 and is a four-time graded stakes winner with earnings of more than $1.8 million. The 6-year-old gelding won the Woodbine Mile (Can-I) in 2008 and a pair of grade II races in Canada last year. In 2010 the Ian Black trainee has won two of eight starts including last out when he went wire-to-wire in the Oct. 23 Bunty Lawless Stakes, a race he won for the third time. Edgar Prado will ride for the first time.
French-bred 5-year-old Never On Sunday will be making his fourth start in North American for trainer Patrick Biancone. After placing in his first two starts including the grade I Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap in February, Never On Sunday was sidelined until October when returning to run unplaced in the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. I). The son of Sunday Break won the group I Prix d’Ispahan last year at Longchamp on the yielding turf.
Wolfson will saddle a pair and also has two more also-eligibles in the My Charmer. Farnsworth Stables’ Cherokee Queen
is a two-time stakes winner this season including the Hollywood Wildcat Handicap in May at Calder. The 5-year-old daughter of Cherokee Run
enters off a convincing allowance score Nov. 20 when sprinting over the same course.
will run for Wolfson for the first time after moving from Todd Pletcher’s New York barn. The 5-year-old daughter of War Chant
has won once in four starts this season and was sixth in her graded stakes debut last out—the Nov. 7 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs.
Pletcher will still be represented in the My Charmer, but it will be with The Niagara Queen
, who makes her second start after returning from a nearly two-year absence. The 7-year-old mare won the Dance Smartly (Can-IIT) back in 2008.
The aforementioned Cardinal was won by Askbut I Won'ttell
, who makes her Calder debut for Chris Block.
Likely to be well-backed is Mary's Follies
from the barn of Rick Dutrow Jr. A two-time graded stakes winner, Mary’s Follies won the Mrs. Revere Stakes (gr. IIT) at Churchill in her 2009 finale. She made her 2010 debut on Oct. 16 in the Athenia (gr. IIIT) at Belmont when finishing a solid second off an 11-month layoff.
A pair of European invaders will make their U.S. debuts for Martin Schwartz—group III winning sophomore Evading Tempete
$100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT, Race 9, 3:53 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Cherokee Queen (KY), L Saez, 117, M D Wolfson
2. Trip for A. J. (FL), J R Velazquez, 115, M W Wolfson
3. Gold d'Oro (KY), P Lopez, 114, W I Mott
4. Evading Tempete (GB), P Fragoso, 117, J Rouget
5. The Niagara Queen (ON), A Smith, 114, T A Pletcher
6. Miss World (KY), M R Cruz, 118, C Clement
7. Paracaidas (KY), E Trujillo, 115, M D Wolfson
8. You Go West Girl (NY), E S Prado, 118, T F Proctor
9. Volver (IRE), P Beuzelin, 114, P L Biancone
10. Askbut I Won'ttell (FL), S Bridgmohan, 117, C M Block
11. Mary's Follies (KY), K J Desormeaux, 118, R E Dutrow Jr.
12. Akilina (NY), J Bravo, 116, C Clement
13. Amazing (FL), (AE), J V Bridgmohan, 114, M D Wolfson
14. Musical Romance (FL), (AE), P Lopez, 114, W A Kaplan
15. Toocleverforwords (KY), (AE), J Castellano, 114, M D Wolfson
16. Profiteroles (KY) (AE), E Trujillo, 114, K J Breen
$100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT, Race 11,4:45 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. El Kingdom (KY), P Lopez, 113, E Plesa Jr.
2. Pickapocket (FL), J V Bridgmohan, 117, M D Wolfson
3. Never On Sunday (FR), P Fragoso, 120, P L Biancone
4. Tannersville (FL), W Galviz, 114, H Collazo
5. Midnight Mischief (KY), K J Desormeaux, 114, W I Mott
6. Bim Bam (FL), Alvarez, 116, D R Brownlee
7. Allie's Event (FL), C Montalvo, 115, L A Smock
8. Baletti (KY), L M R Cruz, 117, A J Penna Jr.
9. Rahystrada (KY), R B Homeister Jr., 118, B G Hughes
10. Twilight Meteor (ON), L Saez, 115, M D Wolfson
11. Sincero (FL), E O Nunez, 114, M J Azpurua
12. Rahy's Attorney (ON), E S Prado, 120, I Black
13. Dream Maestro (FL), (AE), M R Cruz, 114, W A Kaplan
14. Souper Spectacular (KY), (AE), J R Velazquez, 113, S Benzel
15. Black Scorpion (FL), (AE), J Santiago, 112, J P Rizo
16. Laureate Conductor (KY), (AE), J Bravo, 112, C Clement