Ridden by Pat Valenzuela at 115 pounds, Icantgoforthat ran 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:03.84 and paid $21, $8 and $9. Steve Knapp is the trainer/co-owner with Andrew Broberg.
It was the first stakes win for Icantgoforthat, who had finished second in the Boo La Boo Stakes in March. Knapp claimed the In Excess filly for $50,000 in November 2001.
Theresa's Year rallied to finish second and paid $9.40 and $9. Tyler Baze rode the runner-up at 112 pounds. It was two lengths back to Kitty On The Track, with Laffit Pincay Jr. riding at 117 pounds, for a $3.80 show payoff.
Above Perfection, the 9-10 betting favorite, made a brief bid on the turn but faltered in the stretch.Icantgoforthat took the lead shortly after the break, set splits of :21.27 and :44.56. She extended her lead to four lengths on the turn and wasn't threatened in the stretch.
"She broke so quick I kind of lost my mane hold," Valenzuela said. "She's really quick so she still made the lead. We slowed 'em down pretty good and that helped my horse."
Icantgoforthat is 5-2-1 from 14 starts; the $64,260 winner's share increased her earnings to $246,504.
Knapp said Icantgoforthat would be pointed to the $250,000 Padua Stables Sprint on Sunshine Millions Day at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 25.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Miss Mossman Surprises in New Zealand Oaks
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick
- Trainer Chuck Treece Collects 1,000th Win
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner