Trainer Bobby Frankel seeks a record sixth victory in the $150,000 Dahlia Handicap (gr. IIT) Saturday, but as of Sunday he remained unsure of whether Surya or Tates Creek would represent his stable in the 1 1/16-mile test for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles on turf.Frankel is about $300,000 behind D. Wayne Lukas' mark for trainer purse earnings in a year.Weights and the weather will play roles in Frankel's decision between the two 4-year-old fillies, both graded stakes winners on turf.Surya breezed five furlongs on the main track Sunday in :59.80. Tates Creek drilled six furlongs on the main track Saturday in 1:14.60.Frankel won the Dahlia with Lina Cavalieri in 1984, Aberuschka in 1986, Skimble in 1994, Didina in 1995 and Sixieme Sens in 1996.Other probable Dahlia starters include 2000 Matriarch winner Tout Charmant (Alex Solis), Reine de Romance (Julie Krone), Double Cat (Mike Smith) and Terna (Jose Valdivia, Jr.).In addition to Surya, Frankel worked Lido Palace four furlongs in :49 breezing, and Decarchy five furlongs in 1:01.20.
Most Popular Stories
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Tattersalls Ends Year With Soaring Figures