Bailey Rides To The Queen in Laurel's Arundel
Updated: Saturday, December 14, 2002 1:59 PM
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 6:18 PM
Maryland racing fans will get a rare treat on Saturday when Jerry Bailey rides To The Queen in the $100,000 Anne Arundel Stakes (gr. III) at Laurel Park for trainer Bill Mott.
Bailey, who established a new single season record for earnings earlier this month with over $19 million dollars in purses, is chasing Mike Smith's record for most stakes wins in a year. Smith won 67 added money races in 1994.
The 45-year old Hall of Fame member Bailey enters the weekend with 64 stakes victories.
"We have a few good opportunities to beat the record," said Ron Anderson, Bailey's agent. "We'll head to Santa Anita after Christmas and hope to break the record there."
Bailey hasn't ridden in Maryland since Preakness week and his last trip to Laurel Park was a victory aboard Delaware Township in the 2001 Grade I De Francis Dash last November.
Bailey has one stakes win in Maryland this year, guiding Chamrousse to the winners' circle in the $200,000 Black-Eyed Susan (Grade II) on May 17.100,000 Anne Arundel Stakes, 3-year-old fillies, 1 1/8 mile
PP. Horse, Weight. Jockey
1. True Sensation, 122 Jeremy Rose
2. Runnin wonder, 115, No Rider
3. Amazing Lady, Horatio Karamanos, 115
4. To the Queen, Jerry Bailey, 119
5. Desert Gold, Shane Sellers, 119
6. Martha's Music, Stewart Elliott, 122
7. Undercover, Mario G. Pino, 122
8. Pass the Virtue, Alberto Delgado, 122
9. Database, Ramon A. Dominguez, 115
10. Knocking, Jose C. Caraballo, 115
11. Shop Till You Drop, Harry Vega, 115
12. Sideways, Mark T. Johnston, 115
13. Pupil, Jozbin Z. Santana, 115
14. Tarnished Lady, Christopher P. DeCarlo, 117
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!