Saturday's grade II Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) at Aqueduct has more than a full field hoping to go in the 11-furlong event. Three horses are entered only in case it is switched from the turf and 13 others were submitted with the lawn in mind.
Man From Wicklow is the highweight among the regular entries. Earlier this year the son of Turkoman placed third in the Man o' War Handicap (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. Richard Violette owns and trains the 5-year-old.
Following Man From Wicklow in the weights is Whitmore's Conn, winner of the Bowling Green Handicap (gr. IIT) this summer. This race is scheduled to be his last this year.
Evening Attire was entered for the main track only in the race. The race is the last graded turf stakes in New York for 2002. Owned by Joseph Gann and Hall of Fame trainer Tommy "T.J." Kelly, Evening Attire hasn't raced since finishing fourth in the Breeders' Cup Classic at Arlington Park.
Trained by Kelly's son, Pat Kelly, Evening Attire has won at least one graded stakes on every New York Racing Association dirt surface--Aqueduct's main track, Aqueduct's inner track, Saratoga and Belmont--since October, 2001.
"He had a great work yesterday of :49 and change, but it didn't make the tab," Pat Kelly said. "He's been doing very well since the Breeders' Cup. I'm pretty sure they are going to try and run this one on the grass, being it's the last graded (turf) stakes. If the opportunity presents itself, it would be a perfect spot for him. He likes the mud, and the farther the better for him. The distance is better than cutting him back a mile and an eighth for the Clark Handicap (Grade 2, $400,000, nine furlongs, Churchill Downs, November 29th), but if he doesn't run Saturday, we'll go in to Kentucky."
The field for Saturday's grade II, $150,000 Red Smith Handicap, from the rail out:
Horse, trainer, jockey, weight
1. Quiet Ruler, Russell Mueller, John Velazquez, 114
2. Macaw, Barclay Tagg, Jose Santos, 112
3. Whitmore's Conn, Randy Schulhofer, Shaun Bridgmohan, 117
4. Pleasant Breeze, H. James Bond, Victor Carrero, 113
5. Man From Wicklow, Richard Violette Jr., Javier Castellano, 118
6. Classic Par, Randy Schulhofer, Edgar Prado, 114
7. Dawn of the Condor, Gary Sciacca, Jorge Chavez, 116
8. Whata Brainstorm*, Jimmy Picou, Dennis Carr, 115
9. Three Wonders, Bill Perry, E.L. King, 113
10. Chasin' Wimmin, John Hertler, Jean-Luc Samyn, 113
11. Tap the Admiral, Del Carroll, Mike Luzzi, 114
12. Polish Miner, Shug McGaughey, Norberto Arroyo Jr., 113
13. Also eligible: Eltawaasul, Pat Reynolds, Aaron Gryder, 113
14. Main track only: Evening Attire, Pat Kelly, No rider, 126
15. Main track only: Cat's At Home, Mark Hennig, No rider, 121
16. Main track only: Fisher Pond, Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez, 116
*Whata Brainstorm will race without blinkers.