Fillies and mares will be on display Saturday at Del Mar when the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch (GI) will award an automatic starting berth into the Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic at Santa Anita. Run at 1 1/16 miles, the Hirsch looks like a wide open affair with several notable contenders lining up.
Jay Em Ess Stable’s Include Me Out has done little wrong in four starts this season for trainer Ron Ellis, winning the La Canada (GII) and Santa Margarita (GI) at Santa Anita and Marjorie Everett (GII) at Betfair Hollywood Park. The 4-year-old daughter of Include most recently was second in the Vanity at Hollywood June 16, has won half of her 10 career starts and would likely go favored should she start in the Hirsch.
C R K Stable’s Switch could wheel back in the Hirsch for trainer John Sadler after winning the “Win and You’re In” A Gleam at Hollywood to earn an automatic berth into the November 2 Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint. The 5-year-old daughter of Quiet American has won multiples grade I’s and was second in the 2010 and 2011 Filly & Mare Sprint, but broke a eight race losing streak in the A Gleam to up her career mark to 6-for-21.
D & E Racing’s Ellafitz will attract support should she start for trainer Bob Baffert. The 5-year-old daughter of Tiznow is 6-for-16 lifetime, won the Paseana and Santa Maria (GII) at Santa Anita this winter and recently ran second to Include Me Out in the Everett.
Thoroughbred Legends Racing Stable’s Glamorista, third to Switch in the A Gleam; Michael Tabor, Susan Magnier and Derrick Smith’s Quaintly, third to males in Hollywood’s Sunset (GIII) on the turf July 15 and Petrick or Tannenbaum or Yanez’s Zafeen’sPearl (GB), third to Include Me Out in the Vanity in her U.S. debut, could also start in the Hirsch.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby